Explosion defintions

Did anyone ever post this link in the past? If not, here it is. If so, then consider this a periodic courtesy re-posting.

;-)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

GOT BRICK?

Fred Shecter

Galcit is asphalt and Potassium Perchlorate propellant.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I like this one:

"An explosion may be defined as a loud noise accompanied by the sudden going away of things from the places where they were before."

This must be the definition for "explosion" that the ATF is using, as it would cover all rocket flights :-)

-JT

Fred Shecter wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

No, GALCIT is Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology.

BTW, you might be interested in this report I found wandering aimlessly around the site:

Leonard Fehskens

Was Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory California Institute of Technology. There was a long string of propellants designated GALCIT-xx, being the forerunners of modern composite propellant. Jerry is correct, he just left out a number after and addressed it in general fashion.

In this you will find reference to, amongst other things, the theorization and verification of the relationship between chamber pressure and burning surface area to nozzle throat area ratio (K-sub-n) thanks to Theodore Von Karman and crew. Smart group.

Mike D

--------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"

Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.

M Dennett

:)

Hi Len.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"M Dennett" wrote in news:9Luub.295$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

The name of the Lab came first. The propellant (which I did know about) was named after the lab, not vice versa.

So, I'll compromise; we're both right.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Jerry Irvine wrote in news:01rocket- snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Hi Jerry...

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I agree, but you were wrong when you concluded I was wrong.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There is a Von Karman Avenue in Irvine,CA and there is a Milliken building at Pomona College (Claremont, CA).It is very close to the Irvine room at Honnold library.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine