Toy AK-47

Pictures of the insides of a toy AK-74. Note that the trigger closes the circuit and causes the gun to vibrate and make noises. One ofthe wires was soldered to the trigger badly, was stressed by trigger movement, and broke off right near the solder after a few days of a 3 year old playing with the gun.

My fix (not shown) was to re-solder the wire, and put a small amount of shrink tubing around the soldering point, to provide some stress relief.

I did not expect that much for the price paid for these two toys, but I would hope that it would break at least a bit later.

Ignoramus8004

For quality and reliability nothing beats a 1960's vintage Mattel Tommygun. The only thing missing is the cover for the cap popper in the "clip". Not surprising as that was the first thing to go missing in an extended backyard battle.

Pretty nice condition for a 49 year old toy.

Lon

Reply to
Lon Jetivati

Very likely the original solder used was lead-free. This is a normal failure mode for directly soldered wires. Leaded solder is flexible and will work ok. You probably used leaded solder and this will fix the problem permanently.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

I think that even leaded solder (without stress relief) would leave me with the same problem. What failed was the bare strands right near the solder. The thin bare strands flexed with very small flex radius, and eventually failed. The solder remained on the steel spring attached to the trigger. My fix was to essentially increase the flex radius and make the trigger flex the part of the wire with insulation on it. I will see how long it will work now. Probably the next thing to break will be the vibrator motor.

Ignoramus2699

Never too young to start terrorist training! Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

I think of it as "armed patriot training". Soon they will become able bodied men, and therefore members of the disorganized militia.

Ignoramus2699

So, you've never heard of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Iggy, you're teaching that kid to KILL -- batteries,lots and lots of batteries!:)

AK-47. Cool. One of the best military weapons ever invented; powerful, (enough) accurate, (enough) cheap and easy to manufacture in a basement (or cave) workshop, and rugged as a D9 Cat. Almost as good a design as the Holy 1911.

Do you plan on a Kalashnikitty for a daughter someday?

Reply to
John Husvar

Back in the '60's, we had a Mattel Thunderburp!

Reply to
David R.Birch