Buld an AK-47?

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a parts kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of trying to make a machine gun?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Your state, county, and city may have additional restrictions, but making a semi auto rifle is perfectly legal according the ATF as long as standard full auto parts can not be installed to convert it to full auto and the weapon is legal to possess where you live. You are supposed to label any firearm you manufacture for your own use with your name, city, and state. I believe there are also restrictions on the number of import parts you can use to assemble / manufacture your firearm. Most of this information is available on the ATF website, but finding everything you need can be difficult.

No permit or tax stamp is required if making an otherwise legal firearm. The tax stamp is required if making a restricted weapon such as short barrel rifle, sawed off shotgun, etc. Some localities may still restrict these.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:9f656130-e81e- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

No serial number needed. Nor any Identification of the weapon, unless you intend on selling it at a later date. Ive seen serial numbers composed of $##*^% lettering.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Buy a stamped kit, it should be a very easy exercise. Milled receivers are not easy to make on regular knee mills.

Ignoramus19482

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:10:05 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Roman numerals?

Hmm, maybe the original "hindoo" numbers?

Bible Verses? Psalm 119?

pyotr filipivich

John:316-A would work as well as B and C and so forth.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

And if you *do* intend on selling it, ie building for that purpose, then you need to purchase a manufacturers license. That doesn't apply if you just happen to sell it down the road, ie build it for yourself but end up selling it at some point.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

jon_ the v?????????? reciever is made of stamped sheet metal, just a heads up.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Kalashnikov

Sorry about all the question marks.

PrecisionmachinisT

Which explains why I've decided not to allow them to consume any more than a minimal amount of my time.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I don't expect that particular loophole to last much longer, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone should much time and effort persuing such an endeavour...

--unless they're hoping to retire at a federal prison someplace near their local neighborhood.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

best selection right now

You missed the boat, parts price and availablity is shit right now. If you aren't in a rush, I expect things to return to near normal in a while. Parts kits were snapped up just like ammo. Many people are going to decide they can't do this and will start dumping them. Plus the bigger vendors like Sarco, APEX, Copes etc. are sure to get more in.

Of course, The Creek was your best bet.

get your parts from Curtis at:

I bend my own flats, for one, buy your receiver here:

or, if you go milled receiver, let me know which one.

I've collected a few gigabytes of build tutorials. send me a few bucks to buy a memory stick

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

In today's political climate, that sounds unwise. What's the attraction of building a device that magnetically attracts government workers who tell you not to?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's like poking a stick at the toothless old lion in the cage . Even if he gets out he's impotent . I wasn't going to build a killfile on this comp , since it's mainly for the wife but he's become enough of an annoyance to make me change my mind . One of the nice things about OE is that when I bozobin somebody I can also delete every single post he/she/it wrote . Bye bye Jon-boi !

Reply to
Snag

BUILD INFO:

This kindle book is pretty good:

Build Your Own AK (Vol. I): Headspacing & Virgin Barrel Population I got it when it first came out for free. Now he gets $8

There's only about 10,000 build videos on you tube.

Lots of build threads on weaponsguild.com and AKfiles.com

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I found a website somewhere a few months back where a guy used a shovel blade to make an AK receiver . Beat it flat , cut it to shape , and fold it to shape . He bought the rails and other internal parts , welded some etc . I found the article ineresting , but lost the link when this comp crashed a couple of months ago . Ah , here ya go , wasn't at all hard to find

. Have fun !

Reply to
Snag

What is bulding? Is it a gunsmithing term?

Reply to
"Delma T. Ivêy"

If I bought today:

very nice kit