BP horizontal attachment

I've been looking for a right angle attachment for my varispeed J head. I've googled and found some for M heads. What is the major difference between the ones for the J and the ones for the M and what can I expect to be a fair price? And by the way does anyone here have one they want to part with?

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

The attachment clamps on the OD of the quill and mates with the taper in the spindle. The J head has a larger quill than the M head and a different spindle taper.

And by the way does anyone here have one they want

I might.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I am interesting in your attachment Ned. Let me know if you ever decide to part with it.

Ignoramus25943

I am interested in selling the attachment, I just don't know how much of it. I have two of the RA attachments as well as a horizontal arbor and support. I keep meaning to check and see if the arbor support fits the mill I currently have. If it doesn't, I'd probably want to sell the RA attachment, arbor and support together.

I'll try to check over the weekend - nudge me if you don't hear in a few days.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Let me know Ned. The RA attachment, is that an angle attachment? Got any N2 collets?

i;A

Reply to
Ignoramus25943

Yes, RA = right angle. This is a J head angle attachment...

and an arbor support...
The arbor support clamps on the ram dovetails, which is what I need to check for fit.

N2?

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought (incorrectly) that you said that you have the variable angle attachment. I have such an attachment, but no collets for it. :-( Those are called N2 collets.

In any case, I am interested in a right angle attachment.

Also, just curious, what crimper do you use for crimping 10-18 gauge terminals. (mostly insulated). I am not 100% satisfied with mine.

After having done a lot of Ethernet wiring with a nice Ideal RJ-45 crimper, I now want to upgrade my cheap terminal crimper to something nice also. Hence my question.

By the way, the ethernet wiring upgraded my house to gigabit Ethernet.

Ignoramus25943

I know Iggy jumped right in there, but if you are deciding to sell the attachment and it fits a J head and has an R8 spindle, I'm interested.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Iggy

If that's the ratcheting type RJ45 crimper you can get a set of dies for it that does crimp on lugs. These things not only crimp the wire in the lug barrel but have a secondary die that crimps the plastic barrel part of the connector onto the wire insulation. These are becoming sort of a 'spec grade' required method in some industries such as nuclear power and the power industry in general, per a friend in that area. I have a set for my ratcheting crimpers at work and they do a very nice job but somewhat more slowly than other methods.

My crimper of choice is actually one of those universal types, but a very nice one, not one of those shitty ones that come with the 'crimp on assortment' kits. The wire stripper section is not the best but I do use the screw cutter section. I don't recall what brand they are, possibly Klien, maybe Ideal. The T&B brand crimpers do a nice job also, 'u' shaped dies for non insulated lugs and longer fatter handles for better leverage.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul, thanks. If you have a picture of the crimper that you like, I would love to look at it.

Ignoramus25943

Well, all that stuff is at work but I'll see what I can do about ID'ing it Monday.

Paul

Reply to
Paul
.

Not the fanciest but I use a Klein WT111A I think is the number. Use it at least weekly for the last 30 years. Worn but sill does well.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:21:40 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob AZ quickly quoth:

I was curious and tried to google that crimper but couldn't find it. WWII issue, eh?

Here's another Klein tool I never thought I'd see. Do they still even

-make- beverage bottles like that?

Larry Jaques

I have a right angle attachment and TWO of the outboard arbor supports, both of which fit a BP. I also have I believe 4 horizontal arbors. I picked up this stuff at a show a few years back and have never used it. I am definitely willing to sell the stuff. But I don't have time to even think about it right now - I'm on a critical welding job working

7 14s until today and then I'm off for a week in Montana.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, when you return, lets deal, I'm interested. Happy hunting if that's what your doing in Montana.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

According to Ignoramus25943 :

[ ... ]

For *insulated* terminals in that range, I use two crimpers by AMP. The Heavyhead one for 10-12 gauge (yellow insulation and handle dip), and one of the lighter ones for 16-18 gauge (blue insulation, blue and green color dips on the handles). There is a slight overlap between that and the next size down 16-22 (red insulation and handle dip). Often the handle dip is worn off except on the inside of the handles.

The newer Heavyhead ones are also often marked 16-14 -- but that is for a specially insulated one -- double insulation, I think, so it is a proper fit.

All should be marked "P.I.D.G" ("Post Insulated Diamond Grip" is what that stands for), and works best with genuine AMP terminals, which are designed to firmly grip the insulation -- with a three-position adjustment for the insulation crimp size.

For *uninsulated* terminals -- you want a separate set of crimpers, tailored for the uninsulated terminals. I don't use those, so I can't suggest the proper crimpers for those.

This e-bay auction: 200153890891 has a strange one. The head looks like a heavy-head crimper, but the extra length of the handles suggests that it is modified for a different terminal size -- perhaps 6 gauge based on the number shown.

O.K. 290163350835 is the normal heavy-head crimper, and the starting bid is a nice one at least.

This one: 7597766347 is the 22-16 gauge one (Red insulation), but it is an auction for five of them, so you'll have to pick the best and sell off the rest, I guess -- or give the rest to friends.

This one: 330068726166 is the 14-16 gauge (blue/green handle dip, blue insulation). But the price is a bit steep ($90.00 BIN, paypal required)

Same for this -- with an even steeper price: 330078502270

Keep watching eBay for the various sizes -- but the three I listed will cover most needs.

Avoid the "Type F" ones -- they are for a special type of uninsulated. It has two pairs of flags. The ones closer to the terminal crimp onto the wire, and those at the end crimp onto the insulation. They are mostly used for crimp-on pins, though I have seen crimp-on terminals using the same things -- it is just more difficult to find the good terminals for them.

And remember -- matching the crimper to the terminal and the wire size is required for a really reliable crimp. This is why I have a bucket of crimpers which I have difficulty lifting when it is full. (And this does not include the hydraulic ones plus dies for the #8 through #2 range and the 0 through 4/0 range. -- yes, I now have the full set. :-)

There are lots of specialized crimpers by AMP as well, including ones which will crimp the braid and the center pin on coax connector inserts, and ones which will crimp a ferrule to make wire connections to the braid on shielded wires of various types.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN, thanks a lot, great post. I think that I will simply monitor the crimpers category like I do with AC drives category (a lot of insanity is going on in the latter). Thank you very much for getting me started.

Ignoramus11107

I finally got around to rounding up the various parts and checking the fit of the arbor support on my mill. Email me and I'll tell you what I've got.

I use a T&B crimper like this most often...

I have a several of the AMP crimpers that DoN mentioned, and while they do an excellent job, I wouldn't want to make too many terminations in 10-12 wire with one. The design seems perfect for causing a repetitive stress injury. I use the smaller ones for D-sub pins and CPC connectors quite a lot, and even they are a bit awkward.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

According to Ned Simmons :

[ ... ]

There are electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic ones using the same crimp head if you are doing a lot of terminals at one sitting -- e.g. production line work.

I even saw one which was battery powered hydraulic on eBay recently -- Bundy, but with the AMP crimp head for the 10-12 ga terminals.

I've had no problems with any of the smaller ones -- but then I don't sit all day crimping terminals.

And for the larger terminals -- 8 through 2 Ga, and 1/0 through

4/0 -- I have an electrically powered hydraulic system.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I haven't had a problem with them either, I just don't find them as comfortable as some others. The big'uns really do do a nice job, but after 10 or 20 #12 terminals I start to feel it in my forearm, something I don't experience with the T&B crimpers

Reply to
Ned Simmons