Is single channel V tail possible?

Thanks for all the input on my battery question. If I build the glider with V tail (old timer hand launch glider scaled up to 36" wingspan), is it possible to build a single channel, rudder only? Can I just have an actuator rod going to one side of the V and it would basically work as a rudder? Or would a turn in one direction also give some "up" and a turn in the other direction give some "down" input. Actually, that would be ideal. I could have 2 channel control with one channel! For simplicity, I don't want to install 2 control rods. One channel, one control rod, no mixer.

Reply to
wolfee

If you haven't done RC before at all then I wouldn't recommend it. You should be able to put a control horn on the top of one ruddervator and the bottom of the other to a "Y" pushrod and get real rudder control with one pushrod.

I'd suggest that you go ahead and run two pushrods, try to reserve room for an elevator servo, and get transmitter that'll support V-tail mixing. Then when you decide that you really did want two channels it'll be easy to do.

Single-channel is nice (some of the best RC fun I ever had involved an ACE flapping-rudder system and an .020) but that elevator control gives you a world of difference -- in fact I would recommend single channel RC as something to do _after_ you've gotten good at multi-channel, not as something with which to start.

I just found out recently (here, incidentally) that you can buy replacement transmitters from some outfits, without having to shell out for a heavy receiver, heavy servos and a heavy battery pack, all of which you may not need. Given that you're only interested in small stuff this may be a less expensive way to go.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I don't think this would work as you envisage.

It would be fairly easy to set up the v tail with two "snakes" to operate as rudder and use a mechanical "mixer" between two servos to give elevator control as well. This way you don't need a computer transmitter.

I have a semi scale Vulcan set up like this and it has always worked well for me.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher