Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel?

I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1" or
so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and is bent
or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too but would
have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about 1-1/2" long.
Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly rather not, I'm
fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't find it. Any ideas?
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Hey Tom,
have you considered Unistrut?
Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing and all electrical suppliers.
Brian Lawson.
Reply to
Brian Lawson
I call if "formed channel"
Google finds several w/ that catchphrase...
Reply to
dpb
Thats the stuff I was trying to remember!
Reply to
Dennis
Hey Tom,
have you considered Unistrut?
Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing and all electrical suppliers.
That'll do! I have some around here somewhere, I just need to remember what I built....Hmmm.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Oh, so we changed the rules, huh? :)
12 ga is a fair cry short of the 1/8" thickness you gave as a criterion
That's ok, unistrut is certainly far more widely available and cheaper if it'll do than a "real" 1/8" rolled channel...
dpb