Deburring inside hole in AL "U" channel

I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There's a hand tool for that. I don't recall its brand name. It's a hooked scraper that pivots on a handle. It's like your dentist's tooth scraper, bu t the pivot makes it particularly useful for deburring because the pivot mo stly maintains a set angle of its edge against the work.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

I would thing hitting it from the side with a small sanding drum or stone on a die grinder would do the job.

Reply to
Pete C.

Depending on the burr, a sharp chisel?

Reply to
Dennis

scraper that pivots on a handle. It's like your dentist's tooth scraper, but the pivot makes it particularly useful for deburring because the pivot mostly maintains a set angle of its edge against the work.

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember, this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each other. There is no room.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yea, the HARD way!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I haven't made any parts yet and the count will probably be less that

100. To take your suggestion one step further, maybe a razor knife.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

You want a Cogsdill Burraway.

It has a rod the size of your hole and a small spring-loaded trapezoidal blade on the tip. Used in a drill press. On the way in, it deburrs the outside til the blade springs in. On the way out, it deburs the inside.

I actually have one in 1/2 in, but I couldn't find it if my life depended on it.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Could you make a custom longer bit from music wire?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reach through the 1/4" hole with a small countersink, and it can deburr the 1/8" hole.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The hole I need to deburr is 1/2" and it's opposite a 1/4" hole.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep, that's the ticket! Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Have you looked at the Vargus-Shaviv deburring tools? They have replaceable swivel hooks in a red plastic handle with ground sharp edges for the deburring. Most of them are for one edge at a time, but there is one where the hook forms a 'V' which will debur both inside and outside of a hole at the same time.

Look at MSC number 51538353. The photo does not look quite right, but the description does. They may be using the same photo for several of the tools. (And the handle has changed since I got mine. :-)

Or, MSC number 51538395.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Vargus-Shaviv

[ ... ]

You *have* to do it from the 1/4" side? No access from the side where the 1/2" hole is?

It is a matter of the right bits in that tool. The one you want looks sort of like this.

=====[][][]--\ \/

so you put the right-hand end through the hole, pull it to the side so the edge of the metal bottoms in the 'V' and move your hand in a quick circle.

The part to the left is the ratcheted extension shank which goes into the handle, and middle is the quick-release for changing the bits.

If you already have several of the handles, just order the hooks for front/back deburring on holes in sheet metal.

I would go down and grab mine and photograph it to send you a detailed look, except that I'm recovering from a fire in the shop, and everything is rusting and hard to find.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I thought that the second hole was a 1/2" hole, and the 1/8" was the thickness of the metal.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

THAT'S cool, I'll check with the machine shop supply store near me. I've only used a couple of styles of the little bits.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Holy CRAP! They want $27! Locally, they are $11. I guess I'm lucky to have this store 5 minutes away. And, they have a lot of surplus stuff like tool bits and abrasives dirt cheap.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've got a tool like that, it's made by a company called Shaviv.

I usually just end up chucking up a unibit to clean up the edges, though, but then you get a bigger chamfer.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I've seen broadheads that open up on impact. I wonder how difficult it would be to make a deburring tool that could go through the 1/2" hole and open up enough for deburring, then retract. Maybe spring retract and cutting edge would extend like on as centrifugal clutch.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Whoops, misread the original post. Yup, deburring the back of the larger hole can't be done that way. But, there are deburring tools that will do the back of the 1/2" hole easily. I think one of my Royal deburring tools will do it quite well.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson