Why This Group is Moribund

No sharing of actual experiences flying, little talk of whole planes
and how they perform. Mainly it's just discussion of repairs and
modifications, punctuated by arguments about things like glue toxicity.
Is this what you folks want...? I'm a rank newbie, and I get the feeling
I may do more actual flying than some of you guys!
Why, just this evening I half-fell into a manmade ravive while
trying to retrieve a plane that had, er, landed in a tree. I got the
plane, intact, and scraped my right arm up pretty badly. So what do I
use on the arm, bandage tape soaked in epoxy? ;-)
Reply to
mjc1
Hang around for a little while and you might get it, newbie!
You may now do more actual flying than some of us, but you haven't done nearly as much flying as most of us. You have a lot of things to learn and this is a good place to learn some of them. There are other places to learn, too.
Harlan
"mjc13 @verizon.net>"
Reply to
H Davis
The consensus appears that you should not use MEK, wrapped in a photovoltaic covering material.......
"mjc13 @verizon.net>"
Reply to
Tom Minger
What's a revive? How would I know if I ever fell into one?
Flying, BTDT, for over five decades, in one mode or another.
If you really want to get things going, let's talk about Jessica Biel's booty. Makes me wish I was a young'un again.
Ed Cregger
"mjc13 @verizon.net>"
Reply to
Ed Cregger
Make that "ravine." I may have suffered a small amount of brain damage in the fall. I built and flew model rockets in the early '70's, but aside from a few rubber band-powered toys, I'm still in my first year with planes.
Reply to
mjc1
You mean it isn't? :-)
Actually flying is probably the easy bit. There isn't much to say about flying. Mostly they fly, its when they don't you need help..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
| No sharing of actual experiences flying, little talk of whole planes | and how they perform.
... except that that's not true.
| Mainly it's just discussion of repairs and modifications, punctuated | by arguments about things like glue toxicity.
Threads come and go. Wait a while longer, or look back further, and you'll see a wider range of topics.
| Is this what you folks want...? I'm a rank newbie, and I get the feeling | I may do more actual flying than some of you guys!
People post about what's difficult, unusual or interesting. As already said, flying isn't so hard. On a good day, everything goes as planned and it's great fun -- but there's not much to report here.
Even finding awesome thermals and getting your plane specked out and having 1+ hour flights in your glider -- that's routine enough that it's not really worth writing a big story about here. Even if it's more fun than any sort of flying you can do with a motor or engine :)
It's the problems that people report here for the most part. Actual flying experiences are generally only reported if they're unusual. Who wants to read 10 posts that say `Went flying today. Weather was great. Had some great landings!' ?
But if you can make these stories interesting, by all means, post them ...
Reply to
Doug McLaren
Well I went flying today. I had the opportunity to fall into a steep gully alongside where I park the car.... I resisted the impulse.
I clambered up the hillside, and later clambered down again without any displays of falling, tripping, whatever.
What was I flying ? A highly modified little plane from a plan in a magazine. I made a new wing and used a "freehand" curve to draw a nice airfoil shape for the wing ribs. I made an entirely new fin and stab for the back end and fitted a bigger motor than the original design had.
Would my homemade wing work ? Would the new backend have enough control authority ?
It worked a treat and I now have no fear of designing my own models. (I didn't say they would fly... I just have no fear now ! )
If compared against falling down ravines and peering at a model up a tree then I suppose my day was a failure >:-)
Reg
Reply to
tux_powered
Oh I fell into a 6' drainage ditch while moving sideways to peer past a tree on finals.
I managed to not break the transmitter, or any bones.
The model went vertically in at around 60mph tho.
Curiously enough, the expensive bits all survived. The model was totalled tho.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Nothing I've read yet is an interesting as Jessica's firm, round - uh - what was I talking about?
It is too hot down here to even think about flying. My new Wing Dragon 4 is lying on the bench, still unassembled. It won't take long to get it going, but what's the point? Can't fly cause it is too hot.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
You also have to remember that there are a lot more on-line options that just this newsgroup (RCG, RCU, RCC, .... list is quite long and I'm using acronyms for their names). People tend to drift to the environment that they feel most comfortable in. EG, RC Groups has a very large following of inventive park jet/flyer designers and builders.
Be patient, look at the historical data that can be found on Google Groups (main repository of all newsgroups now). Go over to the other on-line forums and find items of interest.
Be warned: a thick skin may be required in dealing with some of the trolls in any of these (including R.M.A.C.), and take comments as just that (comments) until you can identify the people who are experts versus the wanna-be's and trolls.
Also, re the ravine -- wear good shoes, take a St. John First Aid course, and carry a proper kit in your field box or car trunk.
Reply to
byrocat

Site Timeline