Why This Group is Moribund

tux snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.at-all.net wrote in news:46cdc413$1_3@mk-nntp-

2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

And that's the trick to it. I fly a lot of my own designs; a few fly very well, some fly well, some fly okay, and a few don't fly at all (my twin- tandem springs to mind. Ah, well).

If a new design works, then great! If it doesn't - well, I like designing & building 'em; a good crash just gives me an excuse to start a new one. And I always learn something from a design that doesn't work.

Reply to
Mark Miller

-----------

I thank you fellows for reminding me of just how much fun designing, building and flying your own models actually is.

I had completely forgotten.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

"The Raven" wrote in news:46cd7754$0$11059$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Since we're on the topic, what's the best way to get blood stains off of balsa? The props usually clean up pretty easily (and have a disproportionate amount of the blood), but if it gets onto the wood . . .

Reply to
Mark Miller

Well, welcome to the hobby! Next step: Ebay! You are DOOOOOOMMMEEEDDDD! Doomed, I say!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I'm going this saturday. Last few weekends were tied up with certification exams, wedding (mine), day trip on the USS Lane Victory, stuff like that. Bringing out my new Rotorshape autogyro this weekend. This is either gonna be really neat or really brief. Possibly both. Been too hot in the garage after work to do any building.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:06:55 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Mark Miller instead replied:

Turn it into a feature. Paint some nose art over it. Here's a good one with plenty of camouflage for the stain.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I drive by the local RC field on my way home and many times I see 6-7 cars in the lot and noboby flying. Just a bunch of guys sitting on the picnic tables talking and no planes in sight. This group imitates real life sometimes. I'd fly but I lost my plane. I'm building again. Bill

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
bill kolofa

"Tom Minger" > wrote >

ROTFLMAO!

Good one!

Reply to
Morgans

"Mark Miller" > wrote

I find more than half the enjoyment of this hobby through designing and building my own airplanes. It is what turns my crank.

That is what it is all about. Doing what pleases you. To each his own.

I don't see how the OP came off saying that most in here don't do much flying. It is hard to tell how much they do from the posts, and it seems like a lot do plenty.

Reply to
Morgans

"Mark Miller" wrote

Why would you want to remove it? That blood is a badge of courage! Your plane will be proud to wear it!

Or you can paint that part of the wood red. You do have to get a bit creative matching the color. The other alternative is to make a real cut, and bleed some more onto it!

Reply to
Morgans

I'm signed up at RCUniverse already. I wasn't saying that there was no one to talk to, just that this group seemed pretty...vestigial. I'm more interested in what people are flying this year than in past years. And while talk of repairs and upgrades can be interesting, it lacks a certain something when that's *all* that's discussed. At least I've gotten more people posting. ;-)

I've got lots of usenet experience as an activist. I even wrote a 'Primer' on the subject years ago. Your advice is sound.

Better yet, I'm going to fly someplace else! ;-)

Reply to
mjc1

Heh. That's where most of my planes came from. Just last week I was trying to convince the seller of a Hobbyzone Scout that his new in box plane was no longer worth suggested retail...if it ever was.

Reply to
mjc1

Something about group activities... my friends and I used to ride dirt bikes together in high school, and we usually ended up spending as much time sitting next to the bikes as we did actually riding.

Reply to
mjc1

Yes, it was. Forgot to respond to that one. And C-4 doesn't make a good nose weight, either...

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13 wrote

Oh, I don't know... The ending can be rather spectacular, though.

Reply to
Morgans

| Nothing I've read yet is an interesting as Jessica's firm, round -

... wing tips?

| uh - what was I talking about?

Got me. | It is too hot down here to even think about flying.

Here (Austin, TX) too. So I just go out and do it!

Shorts, sun screen and lots of water ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I could have sworn Ray said we said you should use MEK...

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

And another modeler bites the dust to marriage...

Good Luck

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Congrats! mk

day trip on the USS Lane Victory, stuff like that.

Reply to
MJKolodziej

eh, lived with her for 7 years, now I get jewelry. She is cool with the modeling. Keeps me from under foot and she knows where I am most of the time. Works out fine! She does get an odd look on her face whenever she sees my "Retirement Stack" of kits tho.

"Six_O'Clock_High" > certification exams, wedding (mine),

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople