Closet builders -

Gentlemen:

I had a great time at the field this evening and it wasn't just flying. We have several instructors in our club and I hadn't flown with one of them. Tonight I asked him to fly my plane and see what he thought of it.

Well, I have never seen that plane flown so well. He did loops, rolls and inverted (proving to me it can be done) and tuned my struggling engine (I was afraid to adjust the idle mixture - silly me) and also set the high-speed so it 2-cycled but didn't overheat (I'm still breaking it in). What a great help he was.

It's the people. I have a tendency to concentrate on the flying but that's only 50% of the club experience. The rest is the people - sitting in a lawn chair and talking to them - the old-timers and the new flyers as well.

And I was surprised at how many are building or modifying something. The spirit is alive and well at the Barnstormers field.

Cheers -

LeeH, Portland Barnstormers Duraplane airman, 4th class

Reply to
LeeH

As a fellow Barnstormer, I've noticed that even those who have ARFs usually also have something on their building boards. There's a wide range of interests in our small (87 members) club, from 1/2-A two channel birds to pattern ships to electrics to competition scale. While I have three ARFs myself, two of them are planes that others had written off, but I rebuilt. So, in my opinion, an ARF is simply a pre-rekitted model! ;-)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

ARF is simply a pre-rekitted