Computer radio Lithium back up battery

Has anyone found a web site that sells these tiny things. Need one for a old JR 347 radio.

Reply to
Tom Minger

JR / Horizon will service your radio and repalce that batt for just a few bucks.

I had a job done last winter on my 8103 and that was added, Shipping and all was only about $30. Beats losing an airplane.

Reply to
CainHD

Companies like Digi-Key

sell lithium replacement batteries. Look at the old battery to get the dimensions, and the voltage and order one that matches. Should be a simple replacement!

John

Tom M> Has anyone found a web site that sells these tiny things. Need one for a old

Reply to
John Morley

In article , CainHD wrote: | >Has anyone found a web site that sells these tiny things. Need one for a old | >JR 347 radio. | | JR / Horizon will service your radio and repalce that batt for just a few | bucks.

Radio Shack or Fry's (if you have one) may have something usable as well. Of course, you'd have to find and remove the battery yourself, then find a sutiable replacement, then put it in.

If it fits in a holder, you'll need something with the same size, shape and voltage.

If it's something that's soldered in, you may not need something with exactly the same size and shape, but you will need the correct voltage (of course.)

| I had a job done last winter on my 8103 and that was added, Shipping and all | was only about $30.

(Of course, if you don't feel comfortable with opening your radio and doing any soldering that might be needed, it's best to pay somebody else to do it. But $30 seems expensive ... but most of that was probably shipping.) | Beats losing an airplane.

To be fair, a failed backup battery should not cause a plane crash. What it would do is cause your radio to lose it's programming, which you should notice (if the programming is required) in your pre-flight. If you do crash, it's due to an improper pre-flight check.

(Losing the backup battery in the middle of a flight is extremely unlikely, but if it did happen, your radio wouldn't even notice until you turned it off, not something you usually do in mid-flight.)

(Of course, you should still get it fixed.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

My JR 642 is using a Panasonic CR2032 PCB-mounted lithium battery. Use a FINE TIPPED soldering iron and don't apply the heat for too long. Also, examine the battery before you remove it because it is polarised - there is a right and wrong way to fit it, meaning it matters the way it goes in. In my 642 the top soldering tab (positive) is facing the carrying handle.

Good luck.

Reply to
Pete

There was a model magazine article about two years ago, explaining how to replace the battery in the 8103 yourself, and it convinced me not to try it. It's not just a drop-in procedure.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

You can buy it from Horizon, it is soldered in, on some JR radios it is not the easiest thing to get at as you have remove circuit board and take the transmitter partially apart, if I remember they charge about 6 to 8 dollars for it and I believe they weld special tabs on the battery at least they do for the 8103. On the 10SX and 10X radios it is a job to get down to to battery and it is easy to damage a foil getting the old one out, unless you are an experienced electronic guy it may be worth it to send it in.

I just did my 8103's and 10X and 10SX it took some doing, also back up your programs with the JR DataSafe program if you have it.

Bill Krueger

Reply to
Flierbk