Diablo?

Does anyone remember the Diablo that was making the rounds in the mid

80's? The one I had was an ARF (so much as the early ARF's met that definition). I don't remember, but I suspect that it was made by Lanier -- at least it had that thin, slick posterboard covering on the foam wings that I associated with Lanier, as well as thin foam board on the fuse sides which acted at least partially structurally, since there wasn't a whole lot of wood in the plane other than the firewall, turtle stringers, and a couple of formers. I think it's span was somewhere around 56 inches, and it called for a .40 to .60 engine. Did I mention that this plane was LIGHT, although not particularly strong -- at least not the fuse. Of course, I put a fairly hot .60 in it, only to discover that even a fast idle was a bit fast. This was pre 3-D, or at least I think it was. The tail surfaces would allow for 3-D maneuvering, but it needed wider strip ailerons (or barn doors) for today's true 3-D.

It even sounded neat. It had a quiet muffler, so you heard about as much prop noise as engine noise. Superimposed on that sound was a medium-pitched whistle, which I assume came from the flying wires on the tail. Made me think of a turboprop.

That plane started my love affair with mid-wings, and indirectly with pattern in general. There's just something about a plane that goes exactly where you point it, and keeps doing so until you tell it differently. Unfortunately, it eventually succumed to a pilot that was relatively lacking in experience at the time, a bit too much power, and a weak fuse.

I would love to have another like it now, but haven't seen a diablo in many years, other than the one in the MAN plans, which isn't the same plane at all. The Edge 540 looks quite a bit the same, other than a different paint scheme.

Is anyone familiiar with the Diablo I speak of, and more importantly, does anyone know of a source, even if it's just plans? It would make a great winter project, IMO.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I had a couple of the Diablo ARF's . The ones I had wereby EZ brand by OK Modles. They were very light and very straight. I had a number of the EZ's and they flew great. The EZ's had , for lack of a better term , a skeleton structure. They wing had ribs and spars but only about half as many as typical kit built aircraft. The fuse was usually a combination of light ply and balsa. The covering was a high density foam about 3/32" with a plastic like coating laminated to it. Had a beautiful finish. I still have a 56" span PT 19 with an Enya .80 four stroke. Nice flying airplane. They were expensive. Even in the laste 80's and early 90's a .40 size was going for over 200.00 US. There are still some EZ models available. You can find some of them here.

this helps.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Phoenix Models make a Diablo 60 size. Looks nice too!

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

Yes, these look like my old Diablo, other than a different paint scheme. The one I had was a bit smaller, and had a solid wing that bolted down prior to screwing the canopy on, rather than a 2 piece wing. Looks like these are available in the UK and Aus. Now that I know they still exist, perhaps I'll be able to find one available in the US. It was a great-flying plane.

Bob

Reply to
Bob