Die Sets for pushrod threading

I've had the same experience with threading 5/64" pushrod leftovers. The Dubro or Sullivan clevises are just too loose to trust. Can you enlighten us on what stock you use?

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee
3/32 welding rod (as I recall), either aluminum or steel. Cut threads first with 3-56 die then go over that with 2-56 die. For 4-40 use 1/8 material with 5-40 die followed by 4-40. Make sure you use a lock nut, particularly with the aluminum rods, good practice for any rods regardless whether they are rolled or cut threads.

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 Flying Gators Inc., GNV FL

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I think you will find your "left over" push rod (that is used for rolled threads) is actually .070, not .078. If it were .078 you would have about the right size for the diameter of a 2-56 cut thread. .078 dia stock is not readily available so we move up to 0.093 (3/32) and work it down with progressively threading with first 3-56 and then with a 2-56 die.

In rolled threads material is rolled upwards into thread die creating a thread diameter larger than the blank diameter.

Red S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Morris Lee" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 9:17 AM Subject: Re: Die Sets for pushrod threading

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I found a small motorcycle spoke thread rolling machine that works fairly good. It has cone shaped rollers that seem to upset the metal rather than cut it.

progressively

creating a

leftovers. The

Reply to
Johnboy

progressively

Thanks, Red!

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Hmmm...........perhaps the point? Suggested method produces a superior thread to stock hobby rods. The metal is worked up to the proper diameter in the process. Do as you like. I know what works for me.

John Hawkins - From Canada's Atlantic Coast

John Hawkins

I have a Rodchuck and I am having trouble finding the recommended ER70S-3 rods up here in Metro NY.

What kinds of rods does everybody use and is there a place I can order them over the web?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Ted Birgler

I dunno what the designation is, but I use 1/8" plain, un-fluxed, steel welding rods.

Get 'em at a local welding supply house.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan