Digital voltmeter

This subject may have been covered on the newsgroup before - but has anyone else encountered an NiMH battery that reads (4 cells) 5.4 volts on the digital meter but will produce no appreciable current? Will not stir the needle on the old analog meter.

Reply to
Bill Bunn

Sure, It is common on cells that have vented and dried out. Terminal voltage is 1.35 volts, but as soon as you apply any load it drops to zero. Digital voltmeter apply essentially no load, while analogs do, particularly the cheaper ones.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red, it is sure good that you monitor and comment. Your expertise is very welcome.

PS I've been using your appliance timer, battery charging/conditioning system for my NiCads for the past few years with great success. Thanks!

Reply to
Marlowe