e-bay auctions

I sometimes buy stuff on e-bay, but not usually from dealers.
Most of the time a dealers "reserve price" is the same as the "Buy it Now"
price which is just about the RETAIL price for that plane or part. Some of
the dealers will charge upwards of $36.00 for shipping a 40 size ARF. What
a scam!!
So I try to make sure the person selling the plane is not a regular e-bay
dealer.
Just needed to vent,
opinions will vary, WJ
Reply to
jnkessler
If you have a large, heavy kit, how much would YOU charge for shipping? Most of us don't have that deeply discounted UPS corporate account so we have to pay full price for shipping.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
I've worked for UPS for 21 years and I don't get a discount either :(
PCPhill
Reply to
PCPhill
I can understand 40 bucks for a "large, heavy kit", but not a 40 size arf.
opinions will vary, wj
Reply to
jnkessler
I have a question for the group.
I have been on Ebay since day 1
I have bought and sold a ton of stuff there for years. I ALWAYS check the shipping costs before I bid..
I recently was high bidder on a Helicopter on Ebay. The chopper was located in California. The seller quoted me $59.86 for shipping, so I sent him a PayPal payment for the chopper plus the $59.86. After he shipped it, and he waited 2 weeks to do so, (needed to find a box!!!), he tells me he used UPS packaging, and they charged him $163.00 for shipping. So now he want's to charge me an additional $104.00.
If I had known the shiupping would have been that much I would not have bid. He has now filed a complaint with Square Trade on Ebay because I told him that shipping charge was outrageous.
It is my contention that I payed his original shipping costs and just because he used UPS to pack and ship it isn't my fault or expense. He says the ad said buyer pays all shipping costs.
What are the groups thoughts here??
Personally I don't think $163 from CA is realistic. I think he's trying to rip me..
Reply to
Mark Tetrault
D'Oh, let's try again. This time I'll type something *before* I hit "send" ;-)
We often see servos sold on ebay.co.uk by "dealers" in Hong Kong. They usually sell for way above the normal shop price, and that's before postage charges.
So I can pop round to my local shop for servos, or get them mail order from a UK supplier - delivered the following day. Or I can go on to ebay, pay lots more and wait ten days while they get shipped half way round the world. There's a lot of strange people out there!
Reply to
John Privett
[...]
Personally I don't think $163 from CA is realistic. I think he's trying to rip me.. ============================================================= You have the product in hand? If yes, I wouldn't pay another cent. If no, at the very least, you need to see the actual receipt from UPS so you have documentation of "all" shipping costs.
Reply to
Carrell
I have a copy of the email saying the shipping would be $59.86
After, it's on the wat here
The chopper is on the way via UPS. So I'll own the chopper, but wanted the opinion of the want for additional $$
Reply to
Mark Tetrault
Very profound, John!
Reply to
David Smith
There's an easy way to check shipping costs (not including packaging): go to
and enter information about size, weight, sender and addressee zip codes, and other options. You can find out what it costs by FedEx, UPS, Airborne, USPS, etc.
If the seller wants to charge something for packaging the item, that price should have been in the auction notice; if not, too bad.
My experience has been mostly that sellers accept whatever iship tells me it will cost, and don't charge anything for handling or boxing. Some will tell you in the auction notice what they charge for shipping/handling, and if buyers can't check that out and agree, then they shouldn't bid. People are entitled to do this for a living, and if that involves some compensation for their time and materials in boxing stuff up, I don't have a problem with that, as long as it's reasonable. $163 sounds fishy to me.
Reply to
Charles Wahl
The problem is there are always people who will pay those high prices. I tend not to buy on ebay for that reason. Same thing goes for telemarketer, the reason why we get so many calls selling things is because there are some people that will actually buy things over the phone.
Reply to
Normen Strobel
You are RIGHT. You met HIS terms. He is WRONG
Reply to
jeboba
I sold a complete chopper a couple of years ago and shipped it for less than $60 via UPS. I would send a copy of the e-mail quoting shipping (include headers and sources) in response to the request for additional $. I admit that I don't recall where it sent the bird, but you have a non-trivial preshipping quote. - my opinion, good luck.
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
If his original EBay advert has all the costs in it, he has no leg to stand on. If he quoted a price in an email, he has no leg to stand on. If anything was represented as an estimate, then you two need to reach a compromise.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Actually, $163 to have UPS package the thing for shipping probably isn't too far off. If a value of several hundred dollars is declared, they will do everything in their power to make sure it is packed correctly (and charge you for it!) so they will be reasonably sure it won't get damaged during transit.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
He sold. You bought He quoted firm price + firm shipping. You paid. He shipped.
The deal is over. Given the circumstances, I doubt eBay will do anything. You paid his asking price and asking shipping. If he underestimated shipping charges, it's his loss, not yours.
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver
I recently was high bidder on a Helicopter on Ebay. The chopper was located in California. The seller quoted me $59.86 for shipping, so I sent him a PayPal payment for the chopper plus the $59.86. After he shipped it, and he waited 2 weeks to do so, (needed to find a box!!!), he tells me he used UPS packaging, and they charged him $163.00 for shipping. So now he want's to charge me an additional $104.00.
Reply to
GCGassaway
Tell him to go jump - he QUOTED $59.86 (not an estimate) so he is stuck with that - if someone offers a quote and you accept that is an agreement - a contract.
One doesn't just pull a figure like $59.86 out of the air - so if he made the error that is his problem, not yours.
David - who always stuck by his quotes in business.
Reply to
David
Well here's a idea when you buy in ebay offer to send the shipper a ups pre paid label. You can open a account on ups.com with a cc. But what i like most is that you can fins out how much it really cost to ship something. I sometimes buy stuff and just send the shipper a prepaid label threw email or print one out and snail mail it .
Martin Poles
Reply to
martyp
Just the shipping cost isn't the only consideration. The person still has to pack the item properly, which costs money and they have to take it to the UPS depot (or pay for a residential pickup) which takes time. I don't expect anyone to do it free for me.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh