end-to-end soldering of KAN1050s

I want to end-to-end solder KAN1050 Nimhs. I know that such soldering works well for sub-C cells, but I'm wondering if anybody had success doing it on these cells. I want to make the pack as light as possible and better fitting in my sailplane. So, is it doable?

Thanks,

Michal

Reply to
Michal

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be very careful about excessive heating of the cells. It may be a good idea to test voltage and capacity of the pack before and after soldering.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Yes - of course it is - take your time and don't use too big a solderin

iron and transmit too much heat, Something in the region of a 40 Watt iron should be fine

- Stan Ros

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums Visit us at

Stan Rose

How many charges have you had on your end-to-end KANs so far? Do they seem to hold up any worse because of it?

thanks,

Michal

Reply to
Michal

Michal,

You can have your sub C cells end soldered by a professional battery shop for about $5 for packs of 10 cells if you provide the connectors. (That's what it costs here. It's a good deal) You may not be using 10 cells, but the cost may be the same. It's also a good idea to provide your own special wires. The shop will provide the shrink wrap and capping the ends of the pack.

Or if you have a lot of packs to do, for an investment in a 30 watt hammer head soldering iron for about 15 bucks. Your LHS should have one of those. Once you made the first pack, you'll find it quite easy to do.

Make a V trough to hold the cells in place.The trough may be made of balsa as I did. Make sure the trough is about 2 inches longer than the cells when arranged in series. This will permit the hammer head iron to get in between the cells to be soldered.

Then it's a matter of tinning the + and - ends and shoving them together before they cool. Do it quickly so the cells are not damaged by heat.

Wishing you success, Wan

Reply to
Wan

Strangest thing. I had tried to post a response to Michal twice, each time waited 13 - 14 hours and that post had not appeared. So here it is again, but I wondered if anyone else had any experience like this? Below, and for the third time. Is there a web person in charge so this may be explained?

[...]

You had an answer posted at 1:30am this morning.

Will

- Our eBay Stuff

Reply to
Will Hicks

You need to look to your ISP and whomever they or you use for USENET posting. I notice the above was posted via Google. Check with them if you have a continuing problem. There is no central USENET authority.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson