FMA M5 vs Berg Stamp 2

I can get a FMA M5 with crystal for $14 cheaper than a berg stamp with no crystal. I really don't think that a few grams will make a big difference to my plane so that's not a concern.

Are the FMA's as good as the berg receivers?

Thanks to all who reply

Reply to
Blah

You can get a Berg 5 DSPII for less than either. It is a bit bigger than the M5, but out of the case it weighs about the same. Some M5s become inoperable at low temps. Read this thread:

mike tully

As far as RF performance goes, the Berg and FMA are both excellent. For a 5 ch Rx, my choice is the Berg, as the decoder skips ch 5 and outputs ch 6. I find the ability to use flaperon/spoileron mixing and differential ailerons much more useful than retracts. Actually one could use ch 6 for retracts, but you cannot use ch 5 for flap/aileron mixing with most transmitters.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

If you are using Hitec equipment 1 and 5 are used for independant ailerons/flaperons/spoilerons. I REALLY hated when FMA skipped output #

5 on their Quantum 6's. When they corrected that error on later 5 channel receivers I really appreciated it. ;)

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Hi Jim- I recall a conversatrion last summer with Peter B when he mentioned that a guy with Hitec equipment grumbled about the missing channel 5. Is the assignment of flap mixing function to ch 5 unique to the 5 ch Hitec Tx? My 7 ch Eclipse uses chs 1- 6 like all the other mfgrs, and it is also the case with an Optic 6 that I helped a newbie set up a few weeks ago.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

I use my Eclipse for gliders and, if you look in the manual, they still use channels 1 and 5 for ailerons, BUT they moved it to 1 and 6 for the ACRO setting. Kinda' strange, huh? I guess they are trying to come more in line with the other manufacturers.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I run several Berg 5, Plantraco, and FMA M5 Rx's. To date I've had no trouble with the Bergs or Plantracos, but once in a great while the FMAs will sit and cycle the servos about 1/4 travel in a regular pattern( not random twitching) , nothing will stop it until I disconnect and reconnect the battery. It's happened on 2 different rx's, but only maybe 4 times to date. FMA essentially told me "They don't do that". I still use them anyway....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

| I can get a FMA M5 with crystal for $14 cheaper than a berg stamp with no | crystal.

Cheapest place I've seen was

Though that was a while ago that I looked ...

| I really don't think that a few grams will make a big difference to | my plane so that's not a concern. | | Are the FMA's as good as the berg receivers?

I own several FMA M5's and have had no problems with them whatsoever. I've flown them in 100+ degree F temperatures and slightly below freezing (it doesn't get below freezing often in Austin, TX, but it does happen occasionally, and I don't let that stop me from flying.)

I'm guessing you're not going to get a balanced answer to your question. It seems to have turned into a religious war :)

Personally, I've had nothing but good experiences with my M5s and extreme5s, but I don't have any Berg receivers to compare to them yet. (But I may get one, just to try it out.) I've never had to deal with FMA support, so I don't know how they are (and that's the way I like it.)

Also, don't forget get that both FMA and Berg offer several different receivers. You might as well look at both's full lines before making a decision.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

They seem to be quite a bit more fragile than Berg rx's. I own one Berg which has been in a combat slope flyer and other planes that have crashed and works fine. All the FMA rx's I have had took a crap after taking not much of a shock. My other problem with FMA is that they add $20-$30 to their rx's if you want

50mhz. No other radio maker does that. Berg and Futaba charge the same price whether 72 or 50 mhz. Happy with my Berg 6. Will never buy another FMA rx.
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople