For Electric Flyers

WattFlyer eflight only website eclipses 5,000 member milestone!

This past week WattFlyer.com has eclipsed the 5,000 member mark and now continues its march upwards to 10,000 rc eflight members. If you have not visited or joined WattFlyer.com yet you are missing one of the hottest growing sites and areas of radio control. Unlike most other sites WattFlyer was built for one thing and one thing only. That thing is radio control e-flight!

Using a super fast and simple interface WattFlyer lets you get in, find what you are looking for in eflight and get out. The helpful and informative moderators and members all stand ready to lend a hand. It's friendly, simple, fun and fast!

Red Scholefield

Hi Red. Are you running WattFlyer? I like it a lot!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

NO, just moderating the Battery/Charger forum. It is a sub group of R/C Universe. We have had a lot of positive feedback since it started a few months ago.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I'll have our new 20C li-po's about mid January. How would you like to test 'em?

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Who is the cell manufacturer? I may have already looked at them. But with the speed things are developing in lithium techology what was tested last month is now probably out of date.

You will be claiming 20C capability - have you (or your manufacturer) developed an life test data where cycle life is plotted as a function of discharge rate? Also have temperature profiles been run at the high discharge rate? There are many claiming 20C capability, and they will do that, except the temperatures reach cell damaging levels (>140 F) and the cycle life goes in the toilet if the high rates are repeated.

With that being said, yes I would like to include your product in my text matrix, comparing against other offerings of lithium polymer. Keep in mind there is a 3 month lead time for publishing in Model Aviation.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red, We are not repackaging somebody elses cells. These are made to our specs. I would hope YOU could do the testing you're asking about. Our current 12C batteries exceed all the usual specs and we're expecting the same from the

20C's. They're manufactured for us by a very reputable company in China who have been making cells for Motorola, Nokia, IBM, Dell, etc. for a Long time!

I'm sure anyone can fry a li-po if they try hard enough and ours will be no exception. We've used a Mountain analyzer and put our prototype 2100 3S 20C up again Thunder Power's. Ours is discharged at 2208mAh while Thunder Power's dies at 1850! We have consistently shown our cells are actually under rated while a lot of them out there seem to be overly optimistic.

Our new cells are 20C continuous burst to 30C. Our next shipment will be in about mid January. As soon as it arrives, I'll arrange to get some batts to you. Is there any size(s) you prefer?

Thanks! Jim Slaughter President Hurricane Flight Systems

813-996-6997
Reply to
Jim Slaughter

I will be testing to these parameters. I like to get the distributors findings if he has them just to compare.

BTW, your web site

looks good, real easy to navigate and excellent product data presesntation.

Others should note: West Mountain Radio CBA-II is an excellent tool for the electric flyer enthusiast, however it is limited to 100 watts continious discharge. This means the most you can draw from a 2S 2000 mAh pack is about

12.5 amps which is 6.25C. Even with a single cell being tested you can go to 12.5C. We are going to have to come up with a way to do higher discharge rates to keep up with the advances in lithium polymer technolgy. Maybe West Mountain will come out with a heavy duty unit. Either that or I'm going to have to tear into my old Victor Engineering Super Hi-Q to see if the information on hopping it up will work.
Reply to
Red Scholefield

"Unlike most other sites WattFlyer was built for one thing and one thing only. That thing is radio control e-flight!"

So now the site administrator Marc Vigod is seeking guidance on allowing a non-electric slope flying forum AND advertising with "opt-in only" viewing . . pretty hard to believe that the advertisers won't demand that the ad viewing become the default setting.

Reply to
aeropal