RC Community

Hi there. I'm a newbie who's been lurking for a while now, trying to learn what I can about flying. I've found, though, that the signal-to-noise ratio on this list is extremely poor, and the level of mean-spiritedness and snipery make reading these messages depressing and a chore. My hobby is not Usenet drama, it's flying.

I am going to unsubscribe, but before I do, I wonder if anyone can tell me if perhaps I am just on the wrong list? Is there a better community resource? Has somebody got a private list for people interested in flying RC planes? Or is this just how RC modelers *are*, and they enjoy being that way, so every list is like this?

Reply to
john may

You would do well, and I say this with nothing but friendly intent, to look somewhere other than Usenet, then -- perhaps a web-based forum that is moderated.

Someone will be along shortly with a specific recomendation, but in the meantime:

St. John Smythe

Some suggestions:

Do not start posting topics just because you "found the forum" . . learn to use the forum search feature (registration may be required) . . the weekly variants of "what's the best airplane, radio, engine, etc" from the no-search slacker crowd truly gets annoying.

Do not cross-post the same topic in multiple forum categories . . it is very inconsiderate and fragments the topic discussion . . most contributors do not want to repeat what has already been posted.

Reply to
aeropal

Welcome to Usenet. Unfortunately, you need to be pretty thick skinned here. If you dig through the BS, there *IS* useful info to be had.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Check out RC Universe

and
Both are moderated and organized by subject. It your bag is electric then there is WattFlyer

Red Scholefield

There are two very good groups I can suggest.

RC Universe

and if you are into electrics

E-Zone

You will find the MAJORITY of the people at both these groups to be friendly and helpful.

Campy

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

That seems to be a characteristic of moderated groups. Zaras, akimotos and jones don't seem to thrive there at least with the same characteristics exhibited on a usenet forum.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

| That seems to be a characteristic of moderated groups. Zaras, | akimotos and jones don't seem to thrive there at least with the same | characteristics exhibited on a usenet forum.

Of course, on the other hand, most moderated forums wouldn't permit periodic announcements/advertisements of milestones (5000 users! Come join us!) reached at other forums.

To be fair, the people you've listed aren't quite your typical trolls. Their presence on this newsgroup has not been entirely detrimental -- in fact, much of what they've said has been on-topic and useful. (Granted, much is also off-topic and/or itentionally inflamatory, but I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate here. And they're by no means the only ones to post off topic stuff here.)

Ultimately, moderation provides some benefits and a lack of moderation (anarchy?) provides some benefits. Exactly which is better for you depends on exactly what you want, but it does appear quite apparant that most people would prefer at least some level of moderation -- at least until they're the one that's moderated.

Either way, I'm not quite ready to give up on Usenet quite yet.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

John, I'll be glad to assist you in any way I can. We can convers toally via email if you wish. I just hate to see anyone drop out fo any reason.

Take care, CCR :

-- fliers

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fliers1's Profile:

this thread:

fliers1

John,

Head on over to RC Universe and get signed up... it's a great resource without the bickering and petty crap that abounds here. :-)

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

PS: my name is zara - learn to read.

Reply to
zara

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:01:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in :

Me neither.

FWIW, I'm serving on a committee for the Big Eight, of which r.m.rc.air is a part.

The way I survive here is that I take what I like and heave the rest.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

JM:

You certainly won't be happy here. You need to be at a forum that will tolerate all of your whining and bitching plus you need your hand held as some old field geezer guides you through the intricacies (?) of RC flying.

Also I hate to see little boys like you cry as some man old man insults you probably frustrated that you're so slow to learn simple things and too timid to try anything new!

Fly away little bird to some other meadow where the sun is shining more brightly and the birds are singing a happier song!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Take up shooting. It's a real mans game. It's also a lot safer than flying little model airplanes. It's more relaxing than flying. All you're doing is shooting stuff, and intentionally destroying it. With the little airplanes, if your mind wanders or you get a case of "stupid thumbs", Oops,---- no more little airplane. The shooters are a pretty decent, laid back sort, not like the many Dickhead fliers who always seem to be so wound up. So do what Akimoto said.

Reply to
zara

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:50:19 GMT, "Mike Grey" wrote in :

Learning about killfiles helps, too.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

PS: He was using the plural form as in "the zaras, akimotos"etc.... Learn to pay attention.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Take your own advise, it's zara- not Zara - get it?

Reply to
zara

In context, that makes no sense. Out of context, it's irrelevant.

BTW, advice is the noun; advise is the verb.

Reply to
Noah Little

Since you're being nit-picky....

It's spelled adviCe - get it?

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Quite fitting. Zara, in or out of context, is irrelevant! :-)

RS

Reply to
Red Scholefield