Let's be Friends

That's it, done. Click.

You will all now have to treat me with the deference and respect I've lusted after for so long. "Not blo*dy likely", I hear you shout.

Oh all right then, you don't have to behave any differently towards me, but you might take a trip over to Internal Fire, make a donation and become a friend like I've done.

If you've not visited yet, trust me, Internal Fire is excellent, and is rescuing those engines (still being scrapped) which none of us could hope to preserve because of their sheer size. Even if you only visit every couple of years, it's good to be part of a noble cause. The sheer spectacle of the Internal Fire engines running will put a spring in your step for days. There are more engines to be homed, but the cost of recovery, haulage, renovation and housing means Internal Fire needs our input.

We are remarkably lucky to have two world class Engine museums in the UK. Let's help them be even better.

Regards,

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Joe Prindle

Internal Fire is a registered charity, & non-profit. Suspect that means that companies can make a donation, get a goodwill PR story... & claim much of it from the tax man. Not sure if any tax relief applies to private citizens.

This type of museum is usually a labour of love, driven by a few dedicated folk of real passion & commitment. They are often non-profit, but that doesn't mean non-cost.

We tend to think of the costs of engine purchase & restoration as the major costs, but I suspect the hidden costs are very much higher -- health & safety, building construction & maintenance, rates, heating, insurance, & a myriad of other things we forget about.

Certainly salaries aren't a major cost. Most of the owners take very little from the business, & they are often supported by key volunteers who do serious work unpaid.

I'm always amazed by the sheer vision, drive & straight hard work that museum teams exhibit. Their achievements are often as motivating as their displays, whether engines, locomotives, motorcycles, aircraft or whatever.

Many museums do have well-supported Friends schemes. Hope this one does as well.

We'd all be worse off without Internal Fire -- not just for losing the joy of seeing huge engines like the Tangye twin running, but also for the other non-commercial activities of the museum.

Who hasn't browsed through their huge manual library & downloaded scarce literature at no cost? Did we spare much thought for what it cost to buy these manuals, the time to scan them, provision of web hosting etc etc ......?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Wholeheartedly agree. On a point of detail however a small charge is now being made to cover the costs of the manuals service. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Hi Joe, Its nice to see that you have discovered civilisation. 8^) Quite a few of us are also ATIS & Oldengine members & know your expertise. Its good news to have you join us. Regards, Dave Croft PS If you don't understand anything just ask me off list. I had to learn American engine talk years ago when I joined ATIS.

Reply to
Dave Croft