Full scale version of a model plane?

Cute story, though he seems to have things backwards from the way things are normally done.

A SLOVAK pensioner has spent three years building his own plane in his garage, using only a model plane as guide, local agencies reported today.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I hope he has a good instructor and belongs to the FAI!

jeboba

There's also a French plane called the Cri Cri (Cricket) which carries a full size pilot and is powered by two model turbines. A Google under 'Cri Cri jet' should bring it up. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

well its almost the cheapest way of flying. it save you a tramsitter, receiver , and servo's. requires just a little more wood& gleu .

TM

Reply to
dingo

Once upon a time I remember reading about someone building a 1:1 experimental plane which was a duplicate of an Ugly Stick. Anyone heard if this ever flew?

Reply to
Joe D.

Yea, but the funeral expenses can be a real killer :-)

MJC

MJC

I would love to fly that plane. That is one of the few minis or micros that really interests me.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yeah, but sooner or later they pop up anyway. Enjoy life while you can.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

No, but I do recall seeing a huge model of an ugly stick somewhere over the years. IIRC, it used a two-cylinder modified Volkswagen engine.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Isn't that how the Ultimate Biplane came to existance?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Don't know about that, but Phil Kraft (of Kraft Radio fame)used his "Quick Fly" model to base a full scale version. It might have been spelled differently, like Quik Fly???

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Short answer: Nope.

I've interviewed Gordon Price via e-mail many times and once in person.

I've got a section of my website devoted to the history of the Ultimate:

If you don't want to read the pages, here is a slightly abridged answer:

Gordon designed the biplane after making parts to improve the Pitts.

He designed it according to his own theories of what was necessary to get a high roll rate for aerobatic competition and to produce a good-looking aircraft.

After the 10-100 appeared, Gordon acted as a judge in TOC competitions. So he hung out with a lot of RC people and talked design with them.

How much these conversations influenced the 10-200 and the 10-300 is anybody's guess. It's conceivable to me that Gordon may have seen something he liked in the RC models; it's also conceivable that they had nothing to do with what he had learned from the 10-100.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

What I want ot know is how it weighs 280 Kilometers?????

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

It's been done...see "Flight of the Phoenix"

Reply to
Don Hatten

Black Cloud

Was it? How do you know Otto Timm wasn't a modeler who took different model airplanes and made them other model airplanes?

I guess they are all fiction until they fly.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Thanks

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

WHOOPS!

My error, it was Phil Kraft's "Super Fli" that was first a model, then made into a IAC Aerobatic aircraft. Try it in Google and you'll see some photos.

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Flying Gators R/C______/ \__Gainesville FL _________/ Visit my Web Site at:

"Lyman Slack" > Don't know about that, but Phil Kraft (of Kraft Radio fame)used his "Quick

Reply to
Lyman Slack

As I recall it was a sweet airplane. Plans should be available from someone.

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones