Full scale version of a model plane?

The movie was just a story. At least as far as I know it was. Does someone know any different???

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

I've been told several times over the years that the Proctor Antic has been built and flown people size carrying the builder. It may be documented somewhere.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy

The story was fiction but Paul Mantz built the airplane used to make the movie.

Remember also that he lost his life flying it while making the movie but the plane did really fly. It was not very controlable according to all reports.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

Not sure if it was based on fact, but the pilot was killed flying the model they made for the film.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I seem to recall hearing that it was based on a true story. But that was many years ago and I could be wrong.

Chuck Don't be confused! I'm not contributing!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Wouldn't surprise me! I've thought of that myself several times though my preference is the Mini Antic. Biggest mistake is to over power them.

Chuck Still not contributing!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

It was just a story but the point was a couple of planes were cobbled into another plane to be used in the movie. The movie plane was designed by Otto Timm...how do we know he was not a modeler? :-)

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten