Futaba 3PM, bypassed diode, safe charge rate?

I have a computerized Futaba 3PM 3-channel FM transmitter. I am using Eight 2300mAh NiMh AA batteries with the transmitter. I bypassed the transmitter's charge jack diode and I can now use my SuperBrain peak charger to charge the NiMh batteries.

Is there a limit on a safe charge rate that I can use to charge my batteries without damaging the transmitter? I know that my batteries are designed to charge at up to a 2A charge rate but I am not sure if I would damage the transmitter when trying to charge at that rate. I was thinking about charging at 1A.

Reply to
computer_prog

I have a computerized Futaba 3PM 3-channel FM transmitter. I am using Eight 2300mAh NiMh AA batteries with the transmitter. I bypassed the transmitter's charge jack diode and I can now use my SuperBrain peak charger to charge the NiMh batteries.

Is there a limit on a safe charge rate that I can use to charge my batteries without damaging the transmitter? I know that my batteries are designed to charge at up to a 2A charge rate but I am not sure if I would damage the transmitter when trying to charge at that rate. I was thinking about charging at 1A.

Reply to
computer_prog

I would either remove the batteries for charging or not exceed the 1 amp rate. Your typical "wal-wart" charger is only putting out about 100 mah on the transmitter side and about 50 mah on the receiver side.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

As Ted said, stick to 1A; the wiring inside the TX can't handle much more than that without getting too warm. It is especially not a good idea if you are charging loose cells as the battery contacts will deteriorate and cause false peaks after a short time so if they are not allready get the cells made up into a pack, soldered or welded whatever you can get done.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan