Gasoline Prices

What adjustment? I haven't noticed one as yet.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

However, I think that the law is for insurance companies. The law may be to protect them from paying out because it's a fact the you are more likely to die without a seat belt. Also, the law may be protecting other from those who don't wear a belt. There is data that shows those who don't wear a belt are less likely to be able to control the car when it has any force on it that would put the driver out of place to steer or brake, ect. Is it your choice to endanger others if it can be helped with a seat belt? Just offering a point of view. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

I'm not sure about where you live but here in Ohio, it is perfectly legal for motorcyclists to ride without a helmet even though it is a fact that they are more likely to die in a crash w/o a helmet than I am w/o a seatbelt, care to explain why they don't have to wear a helmet and I have to wear a seatbelt?

There are seats with sides that hold people in better than seatbelts sometimes, I rode in my friends SHO once and the seats held you in place no matter how hard you turned. I think more people would wear seatbelts if they were more comfortable as well, like the gentleman who complained of a sore neck. If they put restraints similar to racing harnesses they would be more comfortable to people and might get worn more often.

Reply to
Scotty

mk- I trust insurance companies about as far as I can throw their downtown Boston HQ buildings, but I doubt they have a major fiscal interest in your probability of living through an accident. Dead people don't cost much to deal with, as compared to people with injuries that leave them disabled for life. OTOH, if the data shows less likelihood of permanent disabling injuries with seat belts, then it would be very much in their interest. I suspect this is the case.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

I haven't seen a car without an upper belt adjustment since 15 years. Sorry... If the belt goes up to high, it can pretty much strangle you in an accident instead of saving your life.

Reply to
Peter Stegemann

That's easy. The motorcyclists do a better job of lobbying.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Or perhaps they're being farmed as organ donors?

Reply to
daytripper

Given the proportion of my friends who are bike riders who have come off at some point - ie. 100% (thankfully wearing helmets) I'd believe that. I'm not a big one for laws like that, but they've saved the life of a few of my friends who I'm sure wouldn't wear helmets if they didn't have to.

Reply to
Poxy

That's one of the more rediculas comments I've heard,...but typical propaganda.

It didn't seem to bother the "left" that Al Gore owned stock in Oxidental Oil which had recently been sued for enviromental polution,....the "left" was strangely silent about that. I imagine that you think everyone from Texas & Oklahoma is an "oil man" in bed with "big oil".

Personally I feel better with the country run by the oil companies than I would with it run by liberals.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

Ah! Yes, the "EVIL" SUVs,...does anyone have the common sense to know that all the engines in the Vans, Pickup Trucks and SUVs are the same engine with the same gas milage? Why aren't we hearing about the "EVIL" Vans,...the "EVIL" Pickup Trucks? And has anyone figured out that most SUVs have V-6's and 4 cylinders and get better fuel milage than other vehicles? What about the "EVIL" Semi-Trucks that only get about 8 mile per gallon?...nope, we never hear about that,....only the "EVIL" SUVs. But what does truth have to do with politics and the media? But, hey, SUVs make a great political football for the special interest "left" who want to see us all drive the equivalant of golf carts or depending on public transportation (more government dependency).

Reply to
Phillip Windell

So why should the car take precedence over everything else ? Since the darned things became so popular the streets have been denied to our children, when we were young we played safely all day in the surrounding streets.. kids can't do that now.

O.K we tear down all the old houses in London, as you suggest, now where do we find the refuse-collectors, nurses, firemen, bus drivers, shop workers, lower paid office staff ? There are already major problems finding essential workers because they can't afford to live there. There is going to be a massive (and controversial) house building program around that area but, it is unlikely that it is going to be cheap housing. So, we follow your advice.. bulldoze residential areas and put in expressways. O.K now where do we find all the essential service workers that are required to keep things working.. try getting a plumber in London, and then see if you can afford to pay him. You can't put them in the suburbs 'cos that's where all the expensive housing is 'cos those with money don't want to live in the city. The ones with money already commute for 1 - 2 hours to get to work so how far out are you going to put the lower paid workers ?

We should limit all car use and return the streets to our kids and they can play all day with freeflight and park flyer models.

Actually moves are afoot to return the streets back to the residents. A local scheme is at this very minute ripping down old housing stock and replacing it with green areas and get this.... they are making it very car unfriendly, that way only people who have a real need to will go through there.

Immigration is not a suitable topic for discussion on here but, you raised it...

Immigration is being allowed here in the U.K due to a shortfall (which will increase) in the workforce. Many immigrants are taking the low paid jobs and then trying to improve their situation by studying when they get settled here. Huge chunks of the hotel and catering industries are manned by people from East European countries, and the employers admit that they couldn't get anyone local to do the jobs.

Wasn't America built on the backs of immigrants ? Due to effective education and birth control the population of many developed countries is falling and being replaced by immigrants. Isn't there some concern that large sections of America could soon be Spanish/or something speaking ?

Nothing stands still, and capitalism keeps telling us it is now a Global Village !

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Don't American cars have a sliding metal device on the door pillars ? The belt passes through this and the metal slider can be altered so that the belt caters for the height of the wearer, been standard fitment in U.K cars for years. The slider locks into the position you select.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

No, when the cyclist hits the ground the neck gets broken helmet or not. The issue is payment for long term care rather than death benefit.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Where are you finding a semi that gets that good milage?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Fine! As long as you:

  1. Don't harm or kill anyone else as a result of your own negligence and

  1. Make sure you die so neither I nor anyone else has to support your vegetative life style through our taxes.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

And driving!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

That would be Hillary that feeds you that village crap. Not capitalism.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Yea, many of the "Fleet Trucks" I drove as far back as 1989 or so would get that, at least on the high side with about 5 on the low side...but they also only topped out at only about 62-65 mph. We had 300hp to 350hp Cummins' that were electronically controlled. There were a few Cats that did about the same in milage & top speed but seemed to have a bit more torque. They all really stunk if you wanted to get anywhere in a hurry. The Owner-Operators who wanted a little more "kick" to it never got that milage.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

"Six_O'Clock_High" >> for motorcyclists to ride without a helmet even though it is a fact that

There's no helmet law in Illinois either. I always used to say when I rode,...the only difference between crashing with the helmet or without is that with the helmet the head is the only thing left,...so I guess it helps make sure you can have an "open casket" funeral. I'm not opposed to wearing a helmet or a seat belt, but I am against a governemt law try to force you to wear them. I only wore a helmet when dirt racing, rarely wore one when causal riding,...rarely wear a seatbelt. I'm waiting for the "nannys" in government, in their wizdom, to come up with a seatbelt law for motorcycles ;-) ...then after that Golf Carts,...children's sidewalk toys,....then the bed (don't want to roll off on the hard floor on a cold night).

Reply to
Phillip Windell