Gasoline Prices

I don't care who runs it, I just want wages to start keeping up with inflation and I want our jobs to stop getting outsourced to other countries.

Reply to
Scotty

Gas milage is also dictated by aerodynamics and SUVs have some of the worst, It also isn't all SUVs that bother me, I don't mind a Saturn VUE or Hyundai Santa Fe, its the Suburbans, Expeditions and Escalades that bother me. Full size vans are worse though although I don't hardly see any vans on the road most people that need a van nowadays buy minivans which get better milage, have more cargo room than, and are safer than SUVs. God forbid should you be seen in a minivan though. I also think that all those 3L - 6L engine cars should have limits on how many miles a year you can put on them much like the older muscle cars you see at shows with historical plates do.

Semis btw are a neccesary evil, we have to transport goods from one place to another and semis are the best choice we have atm. While they do pollute and waste fuel, they are doing it while transporting goods that everyone in the country uses and not just idling next to me at the red light with 180 decibels of bass eminating from them.

Reply to
Scotty

My 2004 Chevrolet Malubu Classic does.

Reply to
Scotty

...and weight. Don't forget weight.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Helmet laws suck. I have always worn a helmet, however, and a full face one at that even before it became the law in California. I know several guys that wouldnt wear one if they could get away with it so they wear those stupid skull cap helmets. Great if you land on top of your head maybe... A helmet saved my father's life on one occasion and mine on a couple.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Yes, we have those adjusters, Reg, but there is only one place that works and that place rubs my big neck edge-on where it crosses, plus it grabs hair.

Someone suggested an optional soft pad that slips over the belt. That would be the answer for me. I'm going to start looking for one.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

This is because more folks own automobiles these days and now there are more folks, which is the real problem. Cruise Ship Earth has exceeded its capacity for comfortable living, in some areas.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Then be prepared to lower your standard of living considerably because you won't be able to afford the products.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The engine inmy van is a lot smaller than the average full size SUV. AND gets better mileage even though it is 12 years old with 173,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What semi truck gets 8 mpg? Those that I know of get 4-5 mpg at best. But remember, that at their max legal gross, they are getting around 120 MPG per ton of cargo. Add in the tare and they are around 160mpg per ton. They are very efficient at moving large weights around.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

My 12 year old Plymouth Grand Voyager has them as did my previous 1989 Chevy Corsica.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

There you go off the deep end. I didn't say tear down ALL the old run down crap houses that the nurses and firemen can't afford now. Only select areas to make room for a decent transportation system. The cars are there and aren't going away. If you make efficient routes through the city, MAYBE some of the others CAN be reclaimed for the kids to play in.

The whole design of the transportation infrastructure ignores the reality that England wants all the modern conveniences but is unable to effectively plan for it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Go study the Hurt report and come back when you have some basic facts.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I am all fo no helmet laws once a person reaches the legal age in their state. That way, the Darwin effect will root out the inferior DNA.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Apparently, I have missed something. I have a ten year old Plymouth Rallye minivan that I drive, which should be very similar to yours Paul. Where is this adjustment, that will pull the belt away from my neck, located? I will be eternally grateful if you can clue me in.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I feel that very same way on warning labels on stuff like bleach and preperation H tubes and the like.

If some moron out there wants to blow dry their hair while taking a bath, let nature get rid of them.

Reply to
Scotty

If wages kept up with inflation how would I not be able to afford products?

Reply to
Scotty

Nope ! Just telling it as it is and pointing out the oversimplification of your suggestion for redesigning London... trust an exiled Yank >:-)

You overlook the fact that the best parts of England, that which attracts oversees tourists, were designed and laid out in the days when the horse and cart/carriage ruled supreme. It is one of the major drawbacks of having a l o n g history which goes way back when. Most of our towns/cities can not easily be altered without destroying a lot of heritage.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Becuase the upward moving wages would cause more inflation. Price controls never work. Atificially forcing wages upward (as Unions do) is a "back-end" form of Price controls because the wages paid by a company are simply part of the "cost" of producing the product. If a product cost more to produce, then the product cost more to buy. Also don't forget that higher wages bring with them higher taxes and companies (unknown to most employees) has to "match" the tax paid in,...so if you paid $100 in tax withholding on your paycheck, the company also paid in $100 on their side,...so the "cost" of hiring and paying you is much higher than what it shows on your paystub and that doesn't even cover workman's comp and unemployment insurance other "hidden costs" the company has to pay. So you add all that up and the effect of your wages being raise artificially outside of market forces can very adversly effect the final cost of products,...which in turn,... makes you want,.... another raise, ...again,...causing more higher prices,...causing the desire for another raise,....causing more higher prices,...causing another......

The markets reach a "balance point" when they are left alone,...when governments get involved the balance collapes. Also having idots in the market that think the "shy is falling" every other day screws up the balance as well, as is the stituation with the Gas Prices in the Commodities Market.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

Ok,..so the fat girls have to wait at home till you get back.

Reply to
Phillip Windell