Goldberg Cub w/TowerHobbies .75 = WOW

Well, I finally got my Goldberg Cub (.40 size - clip wing) in the air with a Tower Hobbies .75 two-stroke engine (13x6 prop). All I can say is WOW!!! The power was insane. At 3 stick-clicks above idle, the tail started flying. At just above 1/4 throttle, it was airborne in about 10 feet. Flying at 1/4-3/8 throttle seemed like a regular .40 sized Cub with a .61FS, at 1/2 throttle it was like flying my .46 sport plane, and at full throttle, it was insane. I only made 1 flight since I need to get more aileron throw (roll rate is about 2-3 seconds for 90 degrees). What was great was cruising at 1/2 throttle then step on the gas. It was like injecting nitrous in a car - it really picked up speed (not to mention the right torque-roll and climb which I may throw in a mix to compensate). Landing posed a slight problem. With this much thrust (even at idle), it wouldn't come down. Only after I adjusted the throttle trim down until it started on a slow four-stroke type idle was I finally able to land it 3/4 down the field, but landed perfectly - no bounce. It rolled on 2 wheels for about 10 feet until I pulled back on the elevator to get the tail down. On the taxi back, I burped the throttle a few times to get it to jump into the air - pretty fun doing those bunny-hops. Anyway, after a few tweaks and getting a faster roll rate, I will try the unlimited vertical that I was after.

Yes, this is very much overkill of an engine for a Cub, but what the heck.

Reply to
Trowelfaz

Kinda like if you put a 650 SHP turboprop in a real J-3? Hey, that gives me an idea!

Really, I like extra power. It is easy to fly around with less than full throttle, when you want real.

Reply to
Morgans

Sounds like a nice engine and radio with some guidance fins.

Reply to
Morris Lee

A novice flier came out to the field with a Goldberg Cub last summer. The engine was a .60-size, of course. He just wanted to see it fly, and asked one of the other instructors (i.e. not me) to fly it for him.

The torque effect from the oversize engine and prop made the plane roll almost uncontrollably to the left. It took full right aileron, plus some rudder, to get the plane under some semblance of control. Even so, the instructor was forced to make several scary circuits over the pits and parking lot. Rest assured, he was ready to dump the plane if it came near a person or car, but he did manage to save it and land on the runway.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Maybe he should have throttled back somewhat!

Reply to
David

| A novice flier came out to the field with a Goldberg Cub last summer. | The engine was a .60-size, of course. He just wanted to see it fly, | and asked one of the other instructors (i.e. not me) to fly it for | him. | | The torque effect from the oversize engine and prop made the plane | roll almost uncontrollably to the left. It took full right aileron, | plus some rudder, to get the plane under some semblance of control.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to throttle back?

Even with a large prop, throttling back should bring the torque effects to a managable level.

| Even so, the instructor was forced to make several scary circuits over | the pits and parking lot. Rest assured, he was ready to dump the plane | if it came near a person or car, but he did manage to save it and land | on the runway.

You sure it wasn't just way out of trim?

Reply to
Doug McLaren

HE DID! Even at idle, the torque from the engine was almost more than the ailerons could counteract, and at idle, the plane wouldn't maintain altitude. He had to keep the plane up away from spectators and vehicles... Remember it went out over the pits due to the unexptected left-turning tendency.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

So, I guess I should shelve the "Goldberg Cub powered by the OS 1.08?" ;>) Bill

Reply to
me

Don't be ridiculous. You can't have such a dangerous model lurking around. Pack it up and immediately send it to me!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

And I thought I was brave re-engining my presently Super Tigre .91 powered GP Super Sportster 120 with my freshly bought Saito 150! Perhaps I should have gone straight to a ST 3000? Bob Tomlinson Aussie RC'er and Rugby fanatic

snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au

You know what NOT to remove to email.

Reply to
rcflier