GWS TigerMoth 400 Brushless?

I am sure somebody has converted one of these over to a brushless set up. How about a little 411 and let me in on what motors and speed controls you are using and how you mounted the motor.

Reply to
rokman

is your friend.

Look in 'parkflyers' and 'power' discussion fora.

Tons of upgrades done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rokman,

I just did mine & love it!

I went with a Himax HG2015-4166 (4100 series shorty) brushless motor, and a Phoenix-10 brushless ESC. The Himax motor came with 3 gear sets

6.60:1, 5.33:1, and 4.43:1 so you can play with props & ratios if you want to. Comes with heat sink integrated into mount, which mounts right on the TM 400 stick. Direct replacement setup!

With the stock 6.60:1 gears I'm getting 20 - 25 minutes on a Kokam 3S1P

- 11.1 volt LiPo, and an APC 10x7 prop. I'm testing it now with the stock GWS-1080 prop & looks like it could run longer. My tests were run at 40-60 throttle. Nothing even gets warm with this setup!

With original canned 400sp motor, best I got was around 13 minutes at

30% throttle, and battery/motor were a bit warm - hot at higher throttle settings.

At my LHS the Himax & ESC ran me $120.00 before taxes. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Reply to
rokman

Rokman,

That'll probably be too much for a TM400. Keep it throttled back.

About 4 ounces. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

See if you like this performance:

MEGA 16/15/6

3S2P Tanic 830 (really 3S1P will do as well) 2.14:1 Gearing 11x7 pro

-- Quacke

A titanic struggle between two men and schizophrenia

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Quacker's Profile:

this thread:

Quacker

Reply to
rokman

link to video doesn't work. How about just putting it here?

View this thread:

jeboba

Jeboba,

Worked fine for me. Give it time to d/l.

Too big & binaries don't belong here. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

No, put the DIRECT link here, not the video itself. The link only led to a site where you clicked on another link. Media player never even came up....nothing happened. Oh well. It would have been nice to see.

Reply to
jeboba

In news:ldWUc.8011$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net, jeboba pecked:

It is a 9mb file. If you are on a dial-up connection, it would take until next week to download and view.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

In news:ldWUc.8011$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net, jeboba pecked:

The direct link is:

Dave Thompson

| It is a 9mb file. If you are on a dial-up connection, it would take until | next week to download and view.

Eh?

Assuming a 28.8k modem (slow by today's standards) it would only take about 42 minutes. So unless it's already saturday night at 11:18 PM, it should complete long before next week.

Ob R/C related: I'm impressed by the video. I had a GWS Tigermoth, with NiMH cells and the stock 180 motor, and while it did fly well, I was never really that impressed with it, and eventually traded it for a flying cuisinart. After seeing the video, I'm tempted to try it again ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

In news:%bMVc.19382$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com, Doug McLaren pecked:

I guess I should have put the smiley at the end of the sentence. It was hyperbole. :)

I was commenting on a statement that the download didn't seem to do anything for the OP. If he was not aware of the file size, he probably felt it was hung up.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Doug,

Sounds like you had the original little TM. This thread is about the bigger TM 400 which has ailerons & comes with the 400sp(380) can motor.

Since going brushless with mine as described earlier in this thread, that has made my TM 400 really come alive, and upped the fun factor a bunch! --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.1, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Rokman,

I only have the GWS 10x8 and an APC 10x7 props. Need to get some other sizes.

I'm trying out the different gear packs my Himax 2015-4100 came with. On the 5.33:1 set, my TM 400 seems to need a wee bit more throttle to fly like it did with the stock 6.60:1 set.

With the stock GWS 1080 prop & Kokam 3S1P-1500 LiPo;

6.60:1 ratio......

6.4 amps

73 watts (initial draw/full throttle)

5.50:1 ratio......

8.1 amps 82 watts (initial draw/full throttle)

4.43:1 ratio......

(Results to announced) --