Help: Looking for a short fat fuel tank

I am working on a scale project and am trying to find a suitable fuel tank. The space I have to work with is 4 3/8" L maximum, which is the distance from the rear of the firewall to the front of the instrument panel. Width and hight aren't an issue. I have lots of room to play with there. I also have a hole in the FW that can accomodate the neck of a bottle if necessary. The volume I am looking for is around 18 fl oz or 500 mL. I have looked at all the usual offerings from Sullivan and DuBro and they are all too long at the volume I need. There is a possiblity of a tank from Graupner but I haven't been able to find any dimensions. I also notice that a number of Nitro helis use a fairly square tank and was wondering if one of them would work for me. Again though, I can't find any published dimensions anywhere. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. Thanks -Rob-

Reply to
ve7eje

Dinty Moore Beef Stew? Or other more suitable comestible in an appropriate sized can? Or a bunch of sheet brass or tinplate steel?

Solder the lid back on (or the whole tank up), add a right-sized brass or copper tube to fit a Sullivan clunk-tank cork, wherever appropriate to your installation. If 1/2" copper pipe is too big, and if K&S offerings at the LHS are all too small, check out

I know that Dole pineapples come in galvanized tin cans -- I wouldn't want to find out that a plastic coated can* dissolves in fuel by ruining an engine.

  • Like that damn beef stew -- aren't you glad you don't have to eat any?
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Have you considered an aluminum water bottle from an outdoor outfitter? I use Sigg bottles as fuel tanks on my Bergen turbine (as does everyone else flying this heli) - they come in many sizes and colors...

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I used a tank that was "formable", you just warmed it with a heat gun and put it where you needed it. Seems like I blew in it to expand it. You have to watch where the vent and pickup ends up. mk oh, brand, uhm, maybe du-bro flextank?

Reply to
MJKolodziej

You might try checking out some of the helicopter fuel tanks. 90 size helis are usually 20 - 22 oz and 60 size are in the 18 oz reange. Many are of odd shape which may exactly fit your needs.

Reply to
Tom Minger

It was a Sullivan flextank. mk

Reply to
mjkolodziej

Unfortunately, I need this for gasoline. The flex tanks are glow only : ( Thanks -Rob-

Reply to
ve7eje

Unfortunately, I need this for gasoline. The flex tanks are glow only : ( Thanks -Rob-

I wonder if you could change out the stopper to make it suitable for gas. I did this on a glow tank, but not a flex tank. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Soldering iron and sheet of "thin stuff", or go to your local pharmacy and see what they have in stock for medicines.

Reply to
Beav