Help: Looking for a short fat fuel tank

I am working on a scale project and am trying to find a suitable fuel tank. The space I have to work with is 4 3/8" L maximum, which is the
distance from the rear of the firewall to the front of the instrument panel. Width and hight aren't an issue. I have lots of room to play with there. I also have a hole in the FW that can accomodate the neck of a bottle if necessary. The volume I am looking for is around 18 fl oz or 500 mL. I have looked at all the usual offerings from Sullivan and DuBro and they are all too long at the volume I need. There is a possiblity of a tank from Graupner but I haven't been able to find any dimensions. I also notice that a number of Nitro helis use a fairly square tank and was wondering if one of them would work for me. Again though, I can't find any published dimensions anywhere. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. Thanks -Rob-
ve7eje wrote:

Dinty Moore Beef Stew? Or other more suitable comestible in an appropriate sized can? Or a bunch of sheet brass or tinplate steel?
Solder the lid back on (or the whole tank up), add a right-sized brass or copper tube to fit a Sullivan clunk-tank cork, wherever appropriate to your installation. If 1/2" copper pipe is too big, and if K&S offerings at the LHS are all too small, check out www.smallparts.com.
I know that Dole pineapples come in galvanized tin cans -- I wouldn't want to find out that a plastic coated can* dissolves in fuel by ruining an engine.
* Like that damn beef stew -- aren't you glad you don't have to eat any?
--
Tim Wescott

Have you considered an aluminum water bottle from an outdoor outfitter? I use Sigg bottles as fuel tanks on my Bergen turbine (as does everyone else flying this heli) - they come in many sizes and colors...
http://mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&CategoryR
I used a tank that was "formable", you just warmed it with a heat gun and put it where you needed it. Seems like I blew in it to expand it. You have to watch where the vent and pickup ends up. mk oh, brand, uhm, maybe du-bro flextank?

You might try checking out some of the helicopter fuel tanks. 90 size helis are usually 20 - 22 oz and 60 size are in the 18 oz reange. Many are of odd shape which may exactly fit your needs.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFU74&P=7
It was a Sullivan flextank. mk
--
mjkolodziej

Unfortunately, I need this for gasoline. The flex tanks are glow only : ( Thanks -Rob-

Unfortunately, I need this for gasoline. The flex tanks are glow only : ( Thanks -Rob-
I wonder if you could change out the stopper to make it suitable for gas. I did this on a glow tank, but not a flex tank. mk

Soldering iron and sheet of "thin stuff", or go to your local pharmacy and see what they have in stock for medicines.
--
Beav

VN 750