Hobbico Accu/Cycle Experts

OK,this flying Bud brought me a battery and ask me to check it out. He accidentally touched the leads together while striping the insulation off the wires and before charging it. No insulation is melted so it didn't get that hot.It's a Sanyo,four cell,1200 mah pack.Goes to the Rx. I have the black Accu/Cycle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.I charged the battery up till it started trickling after 15 hrs. I hit the discharge button,the red lite stayed on for 60 minutes and the mah measured 491 after the kill cycle. I'll cycle this battery three times to see what happens. Should these amounts of time and mah increase with each cycle?? Think three times is enough cycling?? What if these numbers stay the same,drop,or gain very little.I'm thinking the battery being a 1200 mah battery that the numbers should go up with each cycle and if they don't,the battery has a weak cell. Please tell me what to expect. Thanx Walt

Reply to
TX_QBALL

One of the reasons I don't like this unit is there isn't a peak detect on it. Which brings me to my question: What charge rate did you have it set at? If you left it at 25 or 50, then the numbers you got aren't too far off as the pack was undercharged. Set the charger to 125 and try again. Yes, by all means, give it three tries to get to capacity, but make sure it's getting a full charge. If you want to be SURE, use your wall wart. They put out about 50 ma, so you will need to leave it on for about 32 -36 hours after a complete discharge to get a full charge on a 1200. It's not necessary, because 15 hours at 125 is close enough for that size pack.

Reply to
John Alt

It's being charged at 125 Thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Reply to
strathboy

for optimal battery life/performance is best to discharge and then perform a slow charge. A 1200 mAH battery would be charged at 120 mA for 15 hours. this way you can determine the full charge capacity of the battery in question! Also very, very, very important is to keep batteries cool while charging - I use a fan!

Bill

Reply to
BBA

OK,If I dont' get the desired mah numbers after three cycles,I'll charge it with the 50 mah walwart for 40 hrs.THEN,I'll put it back on the Accu/Cycle and see how many mah the battery has stored. I'll do this incase the accu/cycle is not giving it a full charge...

Reply to
TX_QBALL

OK,At the end of the second cycle I only got 291 mah and 32 min.This is out of the 1200 mah batter pack....I've gone to the walwart for 40 hrs and see what happens. This was to go into a brand new Rare Bare.That's why I don't want to take a chance. Looks like a new battery may be in the very near future.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Hmmmm....

A brand new battery pack = $15.00 A brand new Rare Bear = a lot more than $15.00

Don't quite understand why you're screwing with this.....

Reply to
Tom Minger

Actually I'm just piddling with it for a guy at the field. Rite now,I'm idle without any projects going on.

If the battery would have bounced back to life on the first charge,I'd use it but it isn't doing that......Think it's fried.....so will use the cells in the solar lites in the yard.

Yeah,the Rare Bear was 300.....I wouldn't take a chance either.

Thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I'd give her 3 cycles and then check the mah. I'm guessing you have a bad battery.

Reply to
Efulmer