homebrew battery charger

ok, this might be a good one to ask here

I got lots of batteries and am tired of swapping out batteries in chargers. so I figgure i'll whip up a charger that only does 1.2 volts and put current limiting resistors for each cell, and then have it branch aout to do about

18 cells at once. that means a high current charger at very low voltage. maybe pulsed DC with a very wide duty cycle. anyone have some design comments?
Reply to
tater schuld

You should have at least 2.0 volts/cell to get decent current regulation.

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Are all the batteries the same chemistry (nicad, nimh)? Are they in packs are are they really indicidual cells? How many do you want to charge at a time?

Phil

tater schuld wrote:

Reply to
Phil

Check:

JJ Robinson II Houston, TX

****************
  • JOKE *
****************
  • > SERIOUS ok, this might be a good one to ask here
Reply to
Heartbreak

would prefer to mixx and match

individual cells. for FRS radios and such. not multicell packs

1 to 18 and any number inbetween. see the difficulty?
Reply to
tater schuld

How complex do you want to get? I'll speak to nicads and an overnight charge (c/10). You can do a c/10 charge rate individually without a great deal of difficulty by using a constant voltage source and a series limiting resistor on each one that would set the C/10 rate. i.e. a constant 5vdc for a single 1.2vnicad 600ma would be c/10 of 60ma. Roughly 63 ohms, but close enough to a 1/4 watt to use a 1/2 watt resistor.

Phil

tater schuld wrote:

Reply to
Phil

that was the plan, 'cept I didn't have values to match. haven't played with NiMH but they seem to be replacing NiCDs in this area so I may have to design for the future.

suggestions?

Reply to
tater schuld

Reply to