How to plane get out of a tree?

If its really a Ficus tree, just wait a day or two and the damned thing will die. Cut it down and your all set. Miserable excuse for a tree....

Ive treed several planes. Only once was it too high to climb for. Fortunately, a strong wind blew my Zero out of its perch atop a 75' oak and settled the plane atop some 3' high underbrush - completely unharmed.

Reply to
MikeF

I was always told that the way to get an elephant out o an oak tree was to get him to sit on an acorn and wait for autumn.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

YOU DA MAN!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Chainsaw?

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Hey NatPhil:

Why do elephants have scratches on their bellies? Flying too low over rose bushes.

How can you tell if there's an ele. nearby? You can smell the peanuts on his breath.

Actually there was a whole plethora of ele. jokes back in the 50s. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Standard equipment here in the Appalachians!

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Bow and arrow. Attach string to end of arrow

-- Viper Pilo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Viper Pilot's Profile:

this thread:

Viper Pilot

Coax him with peanuts.

How do you know the elephant is in the tree??

Smell the peanuts on his breath

-- Viper Pilo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Viper Pilot's Profile:

this thread:

Viper Pilot

Why go to all that trouble Bod? You just put a dollop of cat food in the fuse before each flight - plane stuck up in tree - cat goes up tree to get food - get fire dept to get cat down - and 'while you blokes are up there...."

David

Bod wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

A string tied to an arrow didn't work for me. I was using a 70lb compound bow too. We had to use a weight tied to fishing line. Eddie Fulmer

Reply to
Efulmer

Better yet, 12 guage shotgun. Insert cartridge in chamber. :-)

MJC

View this thread:

MJC

Chainsaw!!

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Chainsaw!!

Reply to
Doug Dorton

I've gotten a plane down from the top of an oak before using some thi

twine and a fishing weight. After many tries, I finally whipped it u there over the branch that was holding it and eased it down and hoiste up a thicker rope to shake the branch. Bow and arrow or slingshot an weight would work better, but if you got neither, this'll get the jo done.

Also, depending on the size of the tree trunk, you could tie a thic rope or chain around the trunk, attach it to your bumper and give it good shake with the gas pedal. If it's a big dia trunk you could clim up a short ways where the trunk is thinner and attach the rope. It works, if you can get away with it.

-Crai

-- wrightknuckle

----------------------------------------------------------------------- wrightknuckles's Profile:

this thread:

wrightknuckles

I find that it always tankes at least a 20ga. ;^)

View this thread:

Paul McIntosh

Reply to
No_Body_Home

Tried the first, but too high.

Used s cheap bow to get line up, got it round branch, still wouldn't come.

Eventually spent several afternoons with an air rifle shooting the airframe to pieces, and the expensive bits came down undamaged.

Apart from the LIPO battery, which after 3 weeks was beyond recall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

: I've gotten a plane down from the top of an oak before using some thin : twine and a fishing weight. After many tries, I finally whipped it up : there over the branch that was holding it and eased it down and hoisted : up a thicker rope to shake the branch. Bow and arrow or slingshot and : weight would work better, but if you got neither, this'll get the job : done.

Free fligh models sometimes fly off the field to land in a tree. The method above does work quite well, even with trees 20m tall. One additional feature that I have planned, not needed to try yet is to use a chain saw. Instead of shaking the shoot, use the rope to pull the saw around the branch holding the plane and saw the branch off. If you miss and get the rope around a branch too high, just work your way down to the right branch...

-Tapio

Reply to
tapio.linkosalo

Hmm, we don't seem to have the original message anywhere ...

In any event, the usual ways of getting a plane down from a tree include :

1) climb the tree 2) throw things at the plane 3) hook a string around the plane and pull 4) cut down the tree (or part of it anyways.) 5) wait for the wind to dislodge it 6) use a long pole to push the plane free. (Home Depot sells telescoping poles up to 30' that work nicely. You can also duct tape long PVC pipes together to get a longer one, though after a while it becomes very hard to work with.) 7) use a ladder

Sometimes using various combinations of these methods will work :)

If you get really stuck, you can often call a tree maintenance company and they can come out with a big ladder and get your plane down. Often with much less damage than other methods may cause, though they don't usually do it for free.

You might be able to talk the fire department into doing it, but of course there's the danger that they'll be tied up when there's a real emergency. (And hopefully they won't let you talk them into it if there's such a risk.) They may justify it as a training opportunity, or by removing it themselves, they remove the risk that a kid will climb up and try to recover the plane himself and get hurt.

I've heard of somebody whacking a plane down from power lines by hitting it with an electric Zagi. I don't suggest this, however, unless you want two planes up there ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren