How to plane get out of a tree?

| In any event, the usual ways of getting a plane down from a tree | include :

I forgot my favorite!

8) shake the tree (or part of it)
Reply to
Doug McLaren

I use a rockod fishing pole. 80lb weight line and a sinker @ 1 to 8 oz wt you may also use a weighted hook or a grub hook - careful - don't get stuck in tree!

BBA

Reply to
BBA

Just use a chain saw and cut the tree down.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
PlaneMan

Reply to
strathboy

Reply to
jim breeyear

| How's about the ol' chainsaw method? ...

Wouldn't that fit under one of these methods, depending on what exactly you use the chainsaw for?

| > 2) throw things at the plane ... | > 4) cut down the tree (or part of it anyways.)

(:

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Chopping down the tree? We're losing trees fast enough in this world as it is. Call me a tree-hugger but it seems some people would so this without a second thought, and I find that truly disturbing. Besides, I can't think of a better way to PO the field owner, or the people neighboring the field, whatever. If it's your own property, then I guess you have the right to make that call. Otherwise, personally I think it's criminal. If I saw someone planning to cut down a tree to recover a model I'd put a stop to it. Spend the time and/or the money to get it some other way.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

| Chopping down the tree? We're losing trees fast enough in this world as it | is.

I never said all the options I gave were good options. Only that they were options.

| Call me a tree-hugger but it seems some people would so this without a | second thought, and I find that truly disturbing.

It _seems_ (but you provide no evidence to back it up, beyond something saying `use a chain saw?'), and you find that disturbing?

Have you ever personally seen a case where a tree was cut down to recover a model airplane?

| Besides, I can't think of a better way to PO the field owner, or the | people neighboring the field, whatever. If it's your own property, | then I guess you have the right to make that call.

You _guess_ ?

| Otherwise, personally I think it's criminal.

Well, if it's on somebody else's property, and you don't have permission to chop it down, `criminal' is _exactly_ the correct word.

| If I saw someone planning to cut down a tree to recover a model I'd | put a stop to it.

Even if it was on their own property? Do you also support tree spiking?

| Spend the time and/or the money to get it some other way.

Well, duh.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Reply to
jim breeyear

I was responding to this suggestion in particular:

Just use a chain saw and cut the tree down.

***

"Just use a chainsaw and cut the tree down" - the suggestion seems pretty straightforward to me, am I missing something? I'm not some kind of radical. I'm just someone who doesn't like indiscriminately cutting down trees, so I took exception to the notion of "just use a chainsaw and cut the tree down". To me the word "just" in that context implies "the easiest solution is to" rather than seeking some alternative.

Yes I have as a matter of fact, not once but two times. And not on the flier's property. Once at the edge of some bush across a road that bordered the flying field. The other time at a different field and a short ways into the bush. And in neither case did the fliers seek permission to do so. Nor IMHO did they try hard to come up with an alternate plan such as ladders, bow and arrows as suggested elsewhere here, an arborist, or whatever. In both cases the people involved seemed somewhat blase about the issue, and merely chose to cut the tree because it was the quickest, easiest, most readily available, or maybe cheapest alternative - as in "ah shoot, just grab the chainsaw and we'll cut the ----er down" which was pretty much the impression I got of their attitude. I made my feelings known but as I was not accompanying them on the retrieval mission I was not there to voice my opinion at the exact moment someone produced a saw. I was likely flying or doing my own thing in the pits. And who says they would have listened, what, am I going to argue with a running chainsaw?

Oh for chrissake, if it was on their own property then I (a) wouldn't have a say in the decision, and (b) wouldn't be there flying in the first place. If I WAS there, I'd certainly try to encourage some other alternative and help with it. But no, I wouldn't chain myself to the tree and go on a hunger strike.

Duh yourself, all I was saying is that I don't like the idea of cutting down trees to retrieve models. Is it okay with you if I have that opinion, or should I ask permission first? How you can associate encouaging people not to chop trees to retrieve models with a stupid radical act like tree spiking is somewhat beyond me. Just because someone has a differing opinion or attitude towards something than you do doesn't make them an extremist.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

I'm sure they really were joking, as in "har har, just cut 'er down". That's a bit hard on the model of course. But I know for fact it's been done before, two times in the realm of my own direct experience, and I was simply hoping nobody got the impression this was a generally accepted practice and/or done all the time.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Unfortunately, that ain't true in the rest of the world.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Its pretty true in the UK actually.

If you kook at the Suffolk painters and return to where they painted all their landscapes, they are all now obscured by trees.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Much of that is by design. Many of the "forests" in the UK are planted as fences to obscure the fields or as windbreaks. Actual forested land is much less because if left alone, the seed-bearing trees deciduous (many in the UK) would eventually reclaim the farm land.

IN the US, much of the forest land had to be set aside as National Forests to keep the loggers from stripping the land. In the early part of the last century, they nearly wiped out the redwood and heritage firs and pines in the west. If you go to the forest service info centers you see pictures of loggers standing on stumps that dwarf anything left alive today.

I am not saying that logging is universally bad, just that rampant stripping of forests isn't good.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Oh we did that way back when.

The cedars of lebanon all went into ships about the time of the Romans, and the UK got its oak stripped out for ships and houses in the middle ages.

Every culture does it, its just that you yanks are the new kids on the block, and haven't yet realised its not an inexhaustible process stripping resources out of the world. :-)

Its OK, once the woods are gone, the logging companies go with them. Alon with most of the topsoil and wildlife.

Then you just replant and wait 500 years, and end up like Europe..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I knew one instance where the owner of the plane shot at it with a .22 cal. After some 10 rounds the plane came down, but the Rx was perforated...

Reply to
Prophanger

I shot at mine with a .22 air rifle.

After about 200 rounds, the plane came down, and nothing was damaged apart from the airframe.

30 yards range and telescopic sights.

You need to aim for thee wing main spars, and the rear fuselage.

These are the sticky bits that catch the tree.

I also managed to shoot off a prop blade.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher