Magnums/Worth a Hoot???

How are todays Magnum. I'm looking at the 90 or 120...I had an ole 45 Pro 2S from back in the 70"s.Still have it and it's running.How are the newer ones.I've heard good and bad. Two strokes or Four strokes...Any good???

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I have a 1.08 that runs like a dream. Starts on the first flip and idles low and smooth. I love it.

Reply to
jeboba

I have had one Magnum XL .40 2 stroke. Complete piece of junk. Never could get it to run anything approaching right. I have a Magnum .91 4 stroke which is about the sweetest running engine I own. My father has a Magnum .52 4 stroke which is also a great running engine. I would buy another Magnum 4 stroke in an instant but wouldnt put one of their

2 strokes on any plane I own even if it was given to me.
Reply to
Fubar

I have a Magnum 91 4s and it performs so well that I bought another one (they are on sale of course). I plan to put it in a Top Flight P-39. Regards Gene

Reply to
Gene

I have a 36 turns a 10x6 at ~13000 runs good

CH

Reply to
Charlie H.

I have Saito and OS 4-strokes and thought I would try a Magnum. I have about 10 flights on a mag 52 4S in a cloud dancer. The magnum is the only

4-stroke I have had that I cannot get started by hand. My others, a couple turns to prime then add heat and one or two flips and they are running. It will not pull fuel to the carb by hand turning the prop and holding a finger over the exhaust. It will pull fuel with an e starter. It is frustrating to be as I don't have an e starter. Once running though, it seems to run well. Another thing is that it doesn't seem to have much compression. I have heard that about them before.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

I had a Magnum 91 FS and it was the easiest starting engine I've eve

had! Very powerful and reliable. I'd buy another one if I needed one!

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Reply to
Bob Bauer

My father's magnum .52FS also has a lack of compression. Runs excellent tho. My .91, however, has plenty.

Reply to
Fubar

I have a .91 4 stroke Magnum and it is a fantastic engine. Never a dead stick and starts very easily. Plenty of power for my 1/6 Pica Waco. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

John VB, I have an Enya .90 4-stroke that hat the same problem you are having. I mounted it head up and with the updraft carb, it wouldn't pull enough fuel to start without a starter. The fuel would pull up to the carb when priming, but it would run back to the tank before the engine would get running enough to keep pressure. What I ended up doing was to put a one-way check valve in the fuel line between the carb and fuel filter. This would allow it to start, and the check valve would keep the fuel from running back into the tank before the engine got running enough to pull the fuel. It now starts easily by hand on just a flip or two on a cold engine. Give a check valve a try if you haven't already. Fourmost makes them for glow and gas.

David

Reply to
David Morris

Thanks for the tip David. Can't hurt to give it a try.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

That sounds like the tank was way too far below the carb.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have a .52 four-cycle and a .46 two cycle (both purchased new two years ago). My other four-cycles are Saitos and one O.S. My other two-cycles are Super Tigre and Thunder Tigre.

Like John VB mentioned, my Magnum .52 four-cycle was the reason I had to purchase my electric starter. It was also returned twice to the factory (entire engine replaced the first time; cylinder head replaced the second time). The .46 two-cycle is strong but hard to get to run reliably in the air.

I am not impressed with the Magnums I have and probably won't buy another.

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob