MAV competitor reports

-----Original Message----- From: Baron Johnson [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 9:10 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com; snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [SA] MAV Competition in Tucson, AZ

Well, we returned to Florida today. The University of Florida won first place overall for the 6th year in a row. We also broke two records: I piloted a 5.25" plane from the on-board video to the surveillance target

600m away and acquired it. The previous best surveillance flight was set by UF in 2002 with a 5.5" plane. The second place surveillance of the University of Arizona was done by a 12" plane, over twice as large. In endurance, our other pilot, Kyu Ho Lee (also the designer of our current configuration), flew a 4.75" plane for 14 minutes 54 seconds, just 6 seconds shy of the 15 minute maximum endurance allowed in the rules (in order to promote small size versus super long endurance). This was about 40 seconds longer than the record flight by BYU in 2002, which was also done by a plane of about the same size. We also got second in the new ornithopter category and second in the design paper competition. Arizona placed first in the ornithopter and BYU placed first in the paper.

There were a total of 13 competitors this year:

Brigham Young University California Polytechnic State University Dayton Christian High School Georgia Institute of Technology Kevin Paulson and Jeff Maroney Konkuk University (Korea) Lehigh University Naval Postgraduate School Rochester Institute of Technology RWTH Aachen University (Germany) University of Arizona University of Florida University of Southern California

The final overall standings were:

  1. University of Florida
  2. University of Arizona
  3. Brigham Young University
  4. RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
  5. Konkuk University (Korea)

We've got lots of pictures that I'll try to get posted when I have a chance.

Bill Hempel also came out and did a lunchtime demo with his 50% Pitts which really impressed everyone. He then got me on the sticks by a "random" drawing from the audience Thanks, Bill! Bill also was there with a photographer from FlyRC magazine, so keep your eyes open for magazine coverage in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and support. It's been a busy few weeks getting prepared for this but it paid off in the end.

Baron Johnson

Reply to
Red Scholefield