Methanol

If the one had not scrambled his e-mail adress,he might have recvd my answer. You can get it at Walmart in the paint dept,and it is labled methyl-hydrate, in gals and quartsThis is where I get mine And those that ask for a solution to their problem migh get a quick answer if they didn't scramble their adress, after all you are the ones that need to solve the problem, so why put so much ordeasl on the one that is trying to help you?

Reply to
R.A.Gareau

We sound a mite testy. Why didn't you simply reply to his post as many others did? Many of us use scrambled or false addresses. I certainly do. While many on this group are really good guys, others are just plain Mutts.

Reply to
zara

Scrambled addy's are great not only for keeping the "Mutts" at bay, but also keeping the Spam-Bots at arms length.............using a real addy on usenet is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Besides, isn't the point of usenet to respond to the community for others to benefit? Sending an e-mail to a person with a reply to a post just helps that one individual, whereas a reply to the group benefits the community.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

My sentiments exactly.

SB

Reply to
Seezerblue

Scrambled addresses that can be deciphered are fine - simply bogus addresses are not! Many times a question has been answered, but is posted again by the newbie. A direct answer to the individual I feel is better rather than wasting bandwidth by posting it here. Of course I have never used a scrambled or bogus address and I have had no problems over the years. I have noticed a tendency that those with bogus addresses are somewhat "braver" when it comes to fowl mouth postings and threats.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I absolutely concur -- If a gent asks a specific question that I feel I have an educated reply to or otherwise can help him, I prefer to send the reply directly. The way I feel is that if he expects a reply, he should give us a reply address. Bury it in the question; simple scrambled addresses are fine, but phony addresses are not. Same applies to using a real name.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

I have been getting an incredible amount of junk mail. I attribute this to my constant use of usenet and from buying things on the net. It has reached a point where I can no longer tolerate it.

This is one newsgroup where I would use my real name and have for many years. However, even that is getting dangerous these days. Ed. ID theft is a bummer.

Identity theft is no joke. Outlook Express only provides me with the facility of one name per ISP. If I could set it up so that each newsgroup let me use a different user name, I'd probably do it that way. Cregger. If you know what I mean?

SB

Reply to
Seezerblue

Umm.. what about the rest of us that enjoy and learn much from your educated answers?

I understand when a "back channel" request is made, and respect that...

But this a "news GROUP"

The addresses.. I agree.. I have mine "munged" because I have to..but almost all figure it out easily..

Cheers!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

and all this spew comes from someone who chose to abuse ME because MY (valid) e-mail address didn't meet HIS specifications

If YOU are THAT unsure of your facts that you are unwilling to post them in an open forum, you probably shouldn't be sending private e-mail either.

The questions were ASKED in an OPEN FORUM, and we expect to be ANSWERED in an OPEN FORUM

ALSO Posters to this forum DO NOT deserve to be abused because of YOUR prejudices

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Under the "file" dropdown, there is a box labeled "identities". take a look, maybe it might be what you need/want.

Reply to
zara

It does not take long: My address got out because during 3 weeks I posted a few articles with the address not being scrambled by accident. Currently I am above 200 spam mails per day :-( Fortunately on the Mac there is SpamSieve :-)

Marc

Reply to
Marc Heusser

I have been using usenet for decades and my junkmail only goes up when I buy something online from a disreputable dealer (you don't know they are until you buy!). My name and email address have been out there for years.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hi

I used to use my real name and e-mail address in Newsgroups (including this one) - until somebody started using it to generate spam, resulting in my PC suddenly starting to receive bounced spam at the rate of literally one every 15 seconds and rendering my domain name unusable. After a month of this with no sign of them diminishing, I gave up, abandoned my cherished domain name and went incognito - since which time I have not received a single spam e-mail!!

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

Why some have problems and not others? Why not simply scramble your address so it can be unscrambled by people that want to contact you without cluttering up the newsgroup?

Reply to
Red Scholefield

A clarification on computer terminology is necessary. "Bandwidth" refers to the throughput or the amount of data traveling over an internet or network connection between computers. Messages posted to usenet have nothing to do with bandwidth but rather storage, and at less than 1kb per post, I don't think storage is an issue with the multi-terabyte servers that house these messages. Now, if you're with a paid usenet provider with a monthly bandwidth limit, bandwidth does come into play, but only if you're into binary groups..............when subscribing to text-only groups the chances of exceeding the standard 2GB transfer limit is VERY scarce!

Doc

"Doc"

Uhhhhh, no. Identities refer to accounts setup in Outlook express, i.e) Mom, Dad and kid could each have their own Outlook Express Identity with unique inboxes and the like. It has nothing to do with usenet ID's.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I agree with Lyman and Red. That's why I use my real name and real address. No problems as a result. Jeeez, has everyone become paranoid of everything? Might want to consider becoming a hermit.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

I will do that, thanks.

SB

Reply to
Seezerblue

When you turn your computer on and your mail box has crashed because of bounced messages that you did not send being returned and receiving too many message from irate individuals claiming that you are spamming them, when you are not, you will understand how bad this can get, Jim.

I've had ISP's turn off my newsgroup and mail functions because of this very thing. It is the luck of the draw, as to whether it happens to you or not. When it happens to you, it is reality, not paranoia.

SB

Reply to
Seezerblue

I couldn't stand the bogus name, so I'm back to just being me.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger