Motor Recommendation Please

I posted about using the Super Cobalt 400 motor that came with the Wattage brand , Pitts that I'm working on. I was also asking about using the "KMS"

31/21 brushless instead. Well, I took some of your advice and bought a Tanic 3 cell, 1550 mah, I think it is. It's only 4 oz as opposed to the 7 cell NICAD weighing 9 oz. The plane weighs in at about 20-21 oz without motor or motor battery. The KMS 31/21 is beginning to look rather wimpy to be hauling around the 25 oz , plane and battery. The cobalt is 3.8 oz plus another 1.7 , if I use the gear unit that has been suggested. A lighter brushless with more power would be nice. What would be a good motor, controller and prop for my application? I want it to have some zing and still not melt the fuse and look like it has a smoker installed. I have a Hobby People down the street so it would be a plus if they carry it, not to mention that I have things that need to be returned. Thanks
Reply to
Forrest

about 2.5:1 and an 8x6 looks pretty good. On the cobalt.,

Otherwise get yourself a 150W outrunner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I just did a little reading up on the Super Cobalt 400 and it says that 8 cells is max for it. That would be 9.6v. Would it be out of the question to use the 11.1 v pack? If so, I guess that means that I would have to use the

7 cell NiCad pack that they sell for it, and fits, and not the LiPo 11.1 volt that also fits. If using the gearing with 7 cell pack, what would be a good prop? If I do go to the brushless 150 watt motor what would be a good one and controller for it? I think if I'm going to kick out the money for one I will probably go 200 watt and hopefully be able to use it on something a little larger after I crash this one a few times. :')
Reply to
Forrest

There is no maxium voltage in any motor. Merely a poiint at which it gets inefficient or over revs. Of course without a gearbox, that can represent quite a low voltage.

No. Absolutely not. It will be fine. I already gave you a box/prop combo. Use the 3s pack.

If you want te best motor in that class, try a mega 16/15 motors. Exactly which wind is an issue...the /3 if geared will take you over 300W...but the revs are high...the /4 or /5 wind will be a more useable motor, and suitable for 3s LIPO in direct drive. At less power mind you =- but its an acceptable compromise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher