Narrow tires for golden age planes?

I'm preparing to build a Douglas Dolphin amphibian, but can't find any narrow 3" diameter tires for it. Wheels are no problem, since I've got a lathe, but tires are another matter. I've looked at Sullivan, DuBro and BVM, but none appear narrow enough. They need to be about 5/8" (16mm). Any ideas, anyone?

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Go here:

and scroll down to Vintage Wheels.

Reply to
OldPhart

Try this site:

luck -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

I made them from automobile fuel line tubing for my Se5a. Just wrap it around the wheel and glue the seam. Works perfectly and has held up for years.

I made the wheels also. Here's a photo:

M-M

Thanks, you two. Alas, the "sausage tube" WW I tire isn't appropriate for a 1930s plane. I need a taller sidewall. Robart scale wheels come close, but are a bit too wide.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

How about large O rings available for commercial pump supply houses.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Did you not look at the rest of the Williams Bros. line?

Reply to
OldPhart

If you could fine a thick or solid rubber ring of the right size ( O rigs for plumbing come to mind) you could flatten the side by touching it to a belt sander.

If that didn't work...how about a tube (tubing) that is stuffed with a flat-sided plastic "noodle"? Cut the "noodle" out of any thick, flat plastic with two hole saws of appropriate sizes...

You'd have to cut the flat-sided ring and then slip the tubing over it. If the tubing was of a thin/light enough composition, it could probably be done.

regards, Rich

Reply to
rich