News Readers

My ISP (MSN) does not provide Usenet so I have to use Google to get my data on RC. But, when you use Google there is no method to upload photos of planes. Does anyone know of a different reader I could use that doesn't charge you?

Reply to
Ted

-----------

Why not just switch ISP's?

I used

(dial up) without a single problem for three or four years. They provided newsgroup access. I am currently using bellsouth DSL (AT&T) and they too provide newsgroup access. I wouldn't tolerate an ISP that didn't provide newsgroup access.

Marty Moleski used to have a list of newsgroup providers that were free.

Whurd ya go, Marty?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

-----------

Why not just switch ISP's?

I used

(dial up) without a single problem for three or four years. They provided newsgroup access. I am currently using bellsouth DSL (AT&T) and they too provide newsgroup access. I wouldn't tolerate an ISP that didn't provide newsgroup access.

Marty Moleski used to have a list of newsgroup providers that were free.

Whurd ya go, Marty?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Use of Usenet for binary posting is deprecated (part from binary newsgroups), and I for one would not see any binary postings you made.

Also the cost f maintaining a world wide presence of what is often little more than mentally sick retards and religious fanatics posting huge amounts of meaningless blather, makes it something one tends to have to pay for these days: public subscription servers are avaailable, or change your ISP if you want a better service.

If you want to chat planes and post pictures there are several pretty good web sites for that purpose, fairly well moderated and full of good stuff.

I use

which is slightly electric biased.
is more for nitro heads, but has a slightly heavier moderation style and a to my mind more unpleasantly fascist feel to some of its regulars. Still, YMMV, etc.

The posting frequency on RCgroups as against here is about 1000:1 I would say. Usenet is pretty much dying apart from a few newsgroups where the plain text style suits the subject matter. Also the lack of moderation makes it a good place to have endless flame wars about nothing in particular. Fun, but not alway what you want.

In short, go with the flow and sign up to a web discussion board and post away.

Or post your pictures elsewhere and put a link to them...

e.g. picked at random..

The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:37:27 -0400, Ed Cregger wrote in :

I went to my 11:30 AM class.

I can't be on Usenet 24x7! :-P

News providers:

News readers:

If there are bad links or if you have new ones to add, let me know.

My own history:

Several years with Newsguy.

A year using Astraweb's $10/25 GB text-only subscription. I have not yet finished using my first GB.

I'm now paying premium prices for premium service from Supernews. I consider it a worthwhile investment. YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:38:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

Same here.

rec.models.rc.air is part of the big-8 newsgroups (comp, humanities, misc, news, rec, sci, soc, talk).

The big-8 are a subset of Usenet.

Some news providers will strip binaries from posts to non-binary groups.

rec.models.rc.air is a text-only group.

The bandwidth of all of the text groups taken together is negligible compared to the traffic in binary groups. The costs of maintaining a good server are not coming from text-based discussions.

Agreed.

I've been here since the fall of 1995 and I still enjoy it.

Agreed. But, on balance, I still find it fun.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

try here:

I have had an active account there since june 2003 they seem to carry all the stuff I can get from supernews, and the $4.00 one time fee doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

YMMV bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I can't switch as it is bundled with my DSL service. Can't have one without the other.

Reply to
Ted

Thanks Bob, but YMMV?

Reply to
Ted

----------

I goofed. I didn't realize the OP wanted to post pictures HERE. Nope, can't do that. But there is another place in the binaries section where you can post pics, as has been mentioned by others.

Sorry MSN is part of your bundled DSL package. I try to avoid ISP's that stick up their nose at usenet. Most that do are not customer oriented. I vote with my dollars and cast them elsewhere.

You know, there are some areas of the country where you have more than one choice of a DSL provider. You should look around and see if Verizon is available in your neighborhood. Also, I would complain to my ISP and let them know that you are unhappy with MSN. I can't imagine anyone that would be happy with MSN.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Interesting.....I have MSN as my provider as well, 'cause that's the only way I can get dsl, but have no problem with Usenet. I HATE the MSN software, so I don't use it - I use IE & Firefox, & get my newsgroups thru Outlook Express, no problems & happy times.

Reply to
Paintballmavin

Doh! I just realized that MSN has nothing to do with whether an ISP provides newsgroup service or not. Oh well.

I tried MSN on dial-up and it had no such newsgroup service. But with DSL, I suppose a provider could use MSN for internet access and a separate newsgroup provider. As they could on dial-up too...

Hmm, this is getting worse and worser. Guess it's time for me to shut up.

Be quiet, Duane.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger