Nextstar problems

Hate 'em...every one that I have ever helped students with has flown like a boxcar with or without all the bells and whistles attached. Got two at the field today and both want to make a right turn on takeoff.

One is really bad. Switched wings between the two and no change. The worse one drops the tail on a left bank and drops the nose on a right bank. Crabs right on landing. Everyting seems wors at low speeds. Made all the usual checks (ex pattern flyer here), thrust, wing warp, aileron balance, rudder/fin alignment, balance lateral and longitudinal, etc.

Any one having experience with these dogs can jump right in here.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy

This may sound silly, but have you checked the radio system for channel interaction?

Yes, it is a long shot, but it could happen to two examples on the same day at the same field. I'll grant you that it is not likely.

My friend's Nextar had the right wing panel disintegrate while in level flight. That wasn't very reassuring.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Make sure the APS is unplugged. It can cause no end to grief.

Reply to
Rob Dover

That's exactly what we found ... even with the autopilot gain turned to zero the plane would take off then start going right and you'd need just about everything to get it back again. We now make sure that the gain is zero and the sensors are unplugged. Then, take off all the other "junk". It may be OK if learning to fly by ones self but it is a hindrance if learning with an instructor.

Darrell

Reply to
Comcast News

The ALS works fine if you only fly at noon, but the closer you get to dawn or dusk, the more the ALS makes the Nexstar harder to fly.

I had my Nexstar with the wing pods and airbrakes removed and the ALS system unplugged while I trained, but it could still be a handful in breezy conditions. The huge wing was prone to ballooning while turning into a head wind. I didn't have too much trouble with it during takeoff or landing, but I've heard several very, very knowledgable instructors say the simply didn't think the Nexstar "flew right."

I would still have mine, but one of our club instructors lost it to a "dead spot" on the north end of our flying field while showing me how to do a touch-and-go. I know that's what happened, because I lost my Easy Sport in almost the exact same spot a month later.

Overall, I liked my Nexstar, but I honestly didn't know any better. It's wonderfully easy to learn to land, but there aren't too many experienced instructors who have nice things to say about the Nexstar's overall flight characteristics.

Reply to
Ed Paasch