No Expo on Rudder on Specktrum DSS???

Folks,

I had an earlier thread asking too choose between tracker III and specktrum and got convinced to go with specktrum. However one point that bothers me is specktrum DSS does not have expo on rudders.

As a newbie to RC flying, I was wondering what does this mean to a non-pro flyer. I'll be flying only electric planes and may be small electric hand launched gliders. I'm interested in doing all sorts of aerobatics that electric planes can do.

Will this limitation prevent me from doing any particular type of manuver?

Thanks

Reply to
Geekay

Not at all...

Exponential (Expo) merely regulates the sensitivity of the travel of a given channel in relation to the amount stick input.. Control can be set more radical with a small amount of stick input, or it can be set to "soften" the control movement around center when stick input is given...

We flew for years without it....

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

That concerned me too, as of late I'm flying small 3D models with huge rudders. In actual use, I've found it to be a non-issue after flying a HellRaiser (Depron foam Ultimate bipe) and Straight Edge (profile foamy Edge) with the Spectrum. Spectrum focused on the RF design to get their system to market ASAP. The Tx box and baseband electronics are OEM from JR, essentially the same as the JR622 (which is likewise lacking rudder expo). A few guys that prefer the newer and glitzier JR6102 to the older 622 have pulled the RF deck and antenna from the Spektrum Tx and replaced the 72Mhz RF board in the 6102 with it. Only takes splicing 3 wires to swap in the new RF board and a little trimming on the plastic case to accommodate the antenna swap. Reportedly about 10 minutes work. I guess for those guys rudder expo means more than it does to me!

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Package received. Thanks. Please email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com (correct the spelling).

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Personally, I NEVER use expo on a rudder anyway, and only very rarely on the elevator.

I DO use expo on the ailerons of almost everything I am flying

Reply to
Bob Cowell

The only people who need a precise and geared down rudder are serious aerobatic fliers.

I'd say its not an issue that bothers me..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ditto. I DO use it on elevators for models that have a high speed range. And need a lot of UP to land...but not a lot to do screaming huge loops in the sky..and may tip stall if forced to do high G corners at high speed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dual rates will do that for you expo wont make any difference as it wont stop you pulling full up

Reply to
Mr Fixit

Is there dual rate rudder on the Spektrum? mk

Reply to
MK

Yes, in an unconventional way. You set up a mix switch for rudder-to-rudder. It is described in the manual, for wusses that RTFM.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Yeah..it will, but I am lazy...too lazy to flick switches :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Placed an order for Spektrum DSS today.

Thanks everyone for sharing their opinions.

Reply to
Geekay