Kaos rudder/elevator problem?

I'm building a Tower Hobbies 'Kaos' and I'm not satisfied with the way the rudder and elevator are fastened to the fuselage. The two pieces are interlocked together but the assembly just sits (glued) on the top, rear surface of the fuselage with no bracing.

The Kaos is known as a full aerobatic plane. Has anyone experienced, or heard of the tail section coming off in flight? ________________________________ Earl 'AMA' #40329

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

The only time I had the tail group come off was during a horrendous crash. It pretty much came off in one piece. I re-attached it the same way. This same crash broke the wing in mulitple places. This crash was one of 3, the third being fatal. The tail group was still attached in the other 2 crashes. I am about 80% done on building my next Tower Kaos. I loved that plane. Super Tigre G51 ringed engine. I used 2 HS225 servos for the ailerons mounted side by side in the center of the wing in place of the single servo shown in the plans. Flew like it was on rails. All of the crashes were pilot error in one form or another. Love the plane so much I acquired several versions of the kit: Great Planes Kaos Bridi Utter Kaos Bridi Killer Kaos and a 3rd Tower Hobbies kit just in case. I was so bummed out when they stopped selling this kit.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I say glue it well and don't add bracing. Just adds weight. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:38:25 -0500, "Storm's Hamilton" wrote in :

It's not 3D-aerobatic.

It is a classic "pattern plane" designed to be smooth and graceful and (probably) fast.

I haven't heard of the tails coming off.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

No experience with that particular airplane ARF/Kit BUT since the vertical and horizontal fins are interlocked if you were to drill the fuse sides and horizontal stabilizer surface at appropriate locations, and install dowellls/toothpicks to reinforce the resultant joint I think you'd be on the right track. If you use epoxy use the thirty-minute type and remember a little goes a long way.

Tejas Pedro formerly AMA 59376

Reply to
Random Excess

I have had the same concerns as the OP, so I always utilized some triangle stock, appropriately shaped and faired, to add a bit of strength to the stabilizer attachment point and the base of the rudder attachment point.

I've even gone so far as to cross drill from various directions and to pin the empennage together using cherry sticks (round toothpicks) that I then faired into the structure to the point of invisibility.

I neglected to mention that I used some thick scrap balsa to fill in the gap between the fuselage sides under the horizontal stab too. Made me feel a lot better.

As an aside, I have to see an empennage failure when constructed in the recommended, unreinforced, fashion in the instruction manual.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed,

Do you wear a belt AND suspenders? ;-)

LOL, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

You don't understand, Bob. My models fly FAST.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Then maybe you should try and work some carbon fiber reinforcement in there somewhere, too!

It goes with "fast" like peanut butter goes with jelly....

I'm off to the field for a chilly day of flying.

Take it easy, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I have been using carbon fiber reinforment on models since I began in the early nineties with competition fun fly models. I know what you are talking about.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Carbon fiber sends a whole different message than tri-stock and toothpicks... maybe even makes the competition a little fearful. (Unless they counter by flashing a glimpse of a lot of skeletonized CNC'd titanium parts.) :-)

Good flying, desmobob [ who had a tough day at the field... radio problem (failed switch?) sent a neat little Kyosho Sensation 1400 Hanno Pretner pattern plane into the woods at 3/4 throttle. All parts recovered, though.]

Reply to
Robert Scott

Earl:

I built a KAOS from RCM plans and DID experience a loss of the vertical stab during landing. Totaled the fuse but the wing was OK. I built another fuselage but this time I cut a slot in the top of the fuse and inserted the vert. stab assembly, glued with epoxy. Have not had any problems since and that was ~5 years ago. When I first built the plane I too questioned the method of attaching the vert stab but thought "they know what they are doing", WRONG. Go with your instinct and reinforce this joint.

Stearman

Reply to
stearman