Old Magnum 45 Pro VS Today

For you that were in the hobby back in the seventies and eighties.

Magnum had the old Pro series back in the eighties.What a power house. I still have my 45 Pro and it still runs great.

How would you compare the two stroke Magnums of today with the old Pro series?? I've thought of buying another Mag but figured I would be disappointed as most things that are new and improved usually tend to be not so improved.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

The old Pro series were Thunder Tigers. The new ones are ASP. I had an old Pro .45 and it was one of the best engines I had at the time. The Royal brand also came from the Thunder Tiger factory but the quality control wasn't as good. I cured many a tempermental Royal with a Magnum carb.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

TX- The old Magnums were made in Taiwan by the factory that produces Thundertiger engines. Everthing seems to be interchangable, only apparent difference is the logo on the crankcase. If you liked the old 45 Pro, you'll love the current TT .46. It's a lot lighter, one piece crankcase, and every bit the match for an OS .46 FX at a much more user friendly price. The current Magnums come from a PRC factory that also produces ASP, GMS and other labels, depending on what part of the world they are sold in. Seemed to have suffered their share of QC problems when first brought to market by Global/Hobby Shack, but those sold in the past couple of years appear to have overcome those issues and are a good value. A bad reputation takes a lot longer to overcome though, so you're likely to get some opinions that rate them as crap. FWIW, the TT will cost just a few bucks more, but it would be my choice hands down. If max power output were an overriding factor, the GMS would be my pick in this price range.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger