GP Patriot kit building question

On page 11 of the instruction book under Leading Edge Sheeting. Part 2. How far does part B hang over Part A. I can't see it if it's there but the overhang is what's in question. Thanx a mil Walt

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Doesn't matter. What matters is the line across the front of the sheeting (top of drawing), since it butts up to the leading edge. Put a straight edge across part A where you just cut it, and slide B in until it hits the straight edge. Now glue the two pieces together. Make sure this line is straight. If it's crooked, lay a straightedge across it and trim. There should be enough wood to spare. You will sand it to a bevel on step 15, which should make it clear why this line must be straight. As the dotted lines show, your going to cut off a lot of both ends after you sheet the wing half with it.

There's a lot on this plane in the extreme speed prop planes forum on RC universe, though feel free to ask more here.

Reply to
John Alt

Thanx John. I've been trying to post and reply in RCU since they came back up but everytime I try to post or reply I got kicked so all I can do is read. Appreciate your info...Now,back to work.. Thanx again.. Walt

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Any time. Look for a thread there called "Patriot under construction" from Poster John A. I've got a couple of pictures of my latest one there. The quality of the pictures isn't good (their still captures), but it might give you a few ideas. Only the wing from the kit is more or less stock. I've got droppable wing tanks on it, and the engine is inverted with the pipe inside the body. Since it sounds like you don't have a lot of kits under your belt, may I ask if you are putting in Retracts? It's a lot easier and more reliable if you put the wheel wells where I have them on mine (flush with the inside edge of R3, rather then the outside edge of R2. Most people leave out the fake scoops on the side BTW. Pain to cover, and the thin wood without much support will often warp.

Reply to
John Alt

Enh, just tried it myself and their search engine doesn't find it. Here's a link to the thread

John Alt

I've built many kits since 82. This is the first of this type. In the mid eighties I had what they called a JetFire 40,kinda jet like but without swept back wings.Wish they still made those.Great flier.

I've read post where people were wondering whether to leave out the side intakes on the Pat. I have't decided yet.Depends on what it looks like without it. I was going to put retracts but decided to leave them in the MK pattern plane that I have. That and a 70 dollar servo. It'll slow it slightly but going with the fixed gear. I'll put the MVVS 49 with pipe in it. The

49 is in my Shrike now and the speed is bluring.Very quick... Thanx Walt
Reply to
TX_QBALL

I loved that one too. I had most of the Airtronics kits. They were high quality kits for their time. You can get many of them from Dreamcatcher. They have a short kit of the Jetfire 40 for 35 bucks. Should be a real easy build.

John Alt

Gee John, Really appreciate the site.Didn't know it existed and I've talked about that plane for years wishing you could still get one.I'll probably order it but have never gone the "short kit" route before. Have you?? Just wondering what's in the kit. I know it explains a little but when it gets to the door and you have three pieces of wood,it's work time. I'll give it a go anyway..Just wondering if your familiar with short kits and what's involved..

You had a excellent answer for that one so I'll give you another.

Remember what they called a Fun One??Don't know who made it. There's a Fun One in production now but it's not the same as the eighties Fun One. It was a low wing,sleek plane,40 size.STill have the old Magnum 45 Pro that I flew it with on another plane.Had one of them also till the wing folded at full throttle.The rest is history. I've seen them on ebay but with a hefty price tag. Just wondering if theres a place you can still get this kit.Short or otherwise. Again, Thanx for the info. Heck,I think I'm living back in the 80's.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I'm still trying to get through the 70s!

Reply to
David Smith

If you click on the name above the picture, it lists what you get. Plans, assembly book with parts list, Landing gear, and laser cut ribs. Period. As they say, the rest of the kit (and just about any kit) consists of mainly sticks and sheets. So the main things you have to cut are the fuse sides (piece of cake) and the formers. Formers aren't bad if you have a scroll saw or bandsaw handy. A little more work with a jig saw. If you buy your plywood in foot wide sheets, it's easier to work with the jigsaw. Even buying the wood and all the hardware, you will still come out cheaper than most 40 size kits, which are running just shy of 100 bucks these days.

Ooohhhh, I'll take "Out of production kits for 200, Alex".

Hmm, the only one I remember was from the early to mid 90's, and was made by Great Planes. I think the kit on the box cover was in light blue. The body resembled that of a Nobler. It was a fun fly plane with oversized control surfaces, like a Fazer, but differed in that it had a built up body. Sort of a mid to low wing. Fun little plane. Tyler Martin in the Baton Rouge club had one back then. Good flying. It's out of production, and GP doesn't sell their kits off, at least that I've ever seen. The only place you will find it is on Ebay or the for sale forums. Tower has the canopy for it listed, so you never know. It may go back into production like the Patriot. OTOH, I think the Dazzler is really an improved version of it, so it looks doubtful.

Reply to
John Alt

Knew a couple. Did he work for Coca-Cola?

Reply to
John Alt

Nah, went to da big school up there, Luziana Sports University, then worked in BR and Geismar for a while. I'm down in Slidell, now. But I do get over that way, sometimes. I try to catch the Bomber Field show when I can, and the Larks are always fun to visit (well, the one time I was there I got that impression). Did you find my Patriot pics?

Reply to
John Alt

Most of the ones on RCU are done that way. Here's a not-too-great shot of mine

I pushed the canopy all the way to the front. Doesn't look much like a Patriot, but the knife edge "be much more better".

Here's a few done by others without them. RCU's search engine is sucking

John Alt