Oooopsie!!!

Crunched my T-34. It was pilot error. Fouled up a simple aileron roll that started diving and tried to pull up, forgetting to let
go of the aileron. At least, that's the only thing I can think of. By the time I realized what I was doing it was too low to recover. It all happened a bit too quick.
Actually, it wasn't _that_ bad a crash. All the electronics survived except the battery.
You can view the carnage at:
http://www.skywise711.com/misc/T34/T34crash.html
Brian
ouch sorry for your lose , looked like a great plane ...
--
diggin4grouper
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 03:39:25 +0000, Skywise wrote:

That sucks to lose an airplane. There's a club member here in Coos Bay that has repaired worse.
--
To reply by email: vhoward12 at frontier dot com

On 02/22/2011 08:32 PM, Vance wrote:

It does look like it could be brought back from the dead. Hey -- the tail feathers are good, at least.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

BTDT--more than once. :o(

I know the feeling very, very well.

Nice pix! I agree with the other poster that you can fix it, if you want to. The fix will add some weight and take some time. Don't ask me how I know. ;o)
                Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*,
talk.*

Thanks. I'm a bit of an amateur photog. Took them with a Nikon D200 10 megapixel. They're shrunk to 1/3rd size and have a little sharpening. Lighting was good being late afternoon.

The only problem is I have little to no experience with balsa as yet. Looks like I'm about to get some. The most I've done was a small repair with this plane when a dead stick landing in the rough ripped the nose wheel from the firewall. My new one survived this crash with nary a mark.
I have done some foam work. I have a multiplex easyglider that's been repaired numerous times. I've built 2 noses from scratch and am about to do a third. It's also being turned into a twin. This bird is going to become my test bed for various DIY projects.
But, since all the electronics survived, I could just pop for another ARF and I'd be in the air in a day. Then I'd also have a model to refer to for reconstructive surgery.
E-Flite's T34 is a great little plane. I was just getting to the point of being able to hold a knife edge with it - at HIGH altitude, of course! This is only my second plane; the glider being the first.
Brian
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:49:45 +0000, Skywise wrote:

You are doing good. Keep at it. Next project could be a kit that you have to build and cover. That would give you insight about how to repair the T-34. You never know what you might find interesting until you try it at least once.
A kit is what I build when the weather doesn't co-operate with flying.
--
To reply by email: vhoward12 at frontier dot com

On 02/22/2011 09:49 PM, Skywise wrote:

If you really want to learn, you should start on easier repairs, or build a kit. Kit building gets you used to a wider range of construction techniques, and what feels right when putting structures together. The benefit of starting with easier repairs is obvious.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Of course, you are correct. ;o)
In order to have a shot at repairing the plane, the original poster has to save the pieces. I've dumped fixable plane pieces myself and seen them brought back to life by others. It's a natural reaction to a crash to pull all the gear out and trash the remainder.
                Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*,
talk.*

They're saved. And I'm intent on fixing her up. It just may not be right away.
The wings will be fairly easy. It's the body that would take a bit of work. I haven't taken a hard look at it yet to break it down in my mind.
But also, I've dove into projects that 'should' have been well ahead of me before and I did fine. I often have a knack for that.
Brian
need to give the plane a name after it back together , trash can works but there are others
--
diggin4grouper
On 02/23/2011 05:02 PM, Skywise wrote:

No, no -- you don't want to break it down _more_! You want to _fix_ it!
:-)
Alas, the general direction that I can give is "look at everything and do what makes sense".

In this case, when things are this heavily damaged, what you generally do is try to stick the broken parts together where possible. Where it isn't (those forward fuselage sides, for instance) you try to use the old broken pieces as patterns for new ones, and splice them into the less-damaged parts of the old pieces.
One nice thing about kits is that they come with plans, from which you can rebuild components.
You should check -- if you can get just a fuselage out of E-Flight, and if the wing repair really isn't that bad, the repair should be a snap. Some ARF companies do sell the components for crash repair, but I dunno about E-Flight.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I took a short look at my bag-o-parts and it turns out there are several pieces that survived intact or nearly so, simply breaking away from the glue joints. So some pieces can be readily reusued with just a bit of cleaning. Others are intact enough to measure for new parts. Some will have to be recreated with a bit of guess work. A few coudl probably be glued back together with a "backing plate" for reinforcment.
I've had the plane long enough that I have a good memeory of what was what.

They sell it, for half the price of a new ARF. Which leads me to an interesting question which I'll address at the end of this post.

They sell SOME completed sections.
E-Flite sells only ARF/RTF planes, no kits. I doubt they'd fork over plans since their money is in selling completed models. But I think a good product for them would be 'repair kits' consisting of all the laser cut parts unassembled. Spars and beams can be had at the LHS.
Now for that 'interesting question'.
I've been looking around and EVERYONE sells the plane for the same exact price. I find that very fishy. If E-Flite is telling resellers they have to sell it at a certain price, that is very likely a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act, aka price-fixing.
Brian

Legal or not, it is extremely common! :-(
Good flying, desmobob
On 02/24/2011 07:48 PM, Robert Scott wrote:

I think you can dictate the prices that your retailers can charge for your stuff -- you just can't get into cahoots with your 'competitors' and fix prices with them.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

After reading your post I did a little more digging.
It turns out that manufacturers can fix retail prices, through a method called a "resale price management agreement".
This was only recently decided in the Supreme Court in 2007.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003767332 _retail29.html
Prior to that, this form of price fixing has been illegal for nearly a hundred years.
It is my opinion that this was a bad decision by the Court, as it inhibits competetion between resellers who sell the same product. The ONLY competition will be between manufacturers who make similar and therefore competitive products. And since the manufacturer could claim their product is better than the competition they would then justify raising their prices. That is in effect anti-competition and undermines the whole purpose of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
Retail outlets WILL NOT be able to compete with each other, unless they sell a different product.
The solution would be for consumers to learn of this, and when they observe price fixing, make the choice of going to an alternative manufacturer who does not fix prices and inform the first why their product was not chosen.
But, like that will ever happen. It has been my humbling experience that 99% of the population doesn't care about such things.
Another piece of America dies.
Anyway, enough of my OT rant. Thanks for the listen.
Brian

I see your point but I don't wholly agree. There is some protection for retailers in there so that the manufacturer doesn't cut prices and leave the retailer with over priced stock. mk

Unless the manufacturer cuts the price to below what the retailer paid wholesale for the product.... Although one has to take into account the overhead for hosting the product, but I don't think that would have too drastic an effect on the store. Unless, they had such a limited line that one manufacturer accounted for a significant fraction of their inventory.
Brian
On 02/23/2011 04:38 AM, Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:

There are some advantages to having an ugly plane. For something to push hard on learning aerobatics, I was always more willing to push an ugly rebuilt plane that a pristine new one. I had a Citabria that was more epoxy than balsa wood that I finally learned the rolling circle on. It finally got so oil soaked that I couldn't patch it up any more.
BobH
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:56:50 +0000, BobH

Yes, indeed!
I call it "Ugly Insurance."
It might be a law of aerodynamics--when the planes get really ugly, the earth repels them?
                Marty