Speed control question

If an ESC, battery and radio were suddenly and unexpectedly submerged in say...a creek, do you think the ESC would burn and blacken?

Thanks,

P.

Reply to
Pat Patterson

Never had a chance to try it in an aircraft. Did it several times with boats. No blackening or burning. Just the mother of all glitches and then nothing. Saved them by rinsing the ESC with distilled water, then alcohol. Dried with a hair-drier and left to sit overnight. Did this about seven or eight times over the years. Always came back. I have been told I am very lucky tho...

John Krueger AMA 572030

I think I can save it!

Reply to
Final Reproach

Possibly. But not probably IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It did.

I am reluctantly content to chalk it up to pilot error but when I retrieved the glider from aforementioned creek the ESC was black and burned on the one side. There is no damage to the receiver or motor.

I would love to convince myself that the ESC smoked, causing the crash rather than I caused the crash and the water smoked the ESC.

P.

Reply to
Pat Patterson

| I am reluctantly content to chalk it up to pilot error but when I retrieved | the glider from aforementioned creek the ESC was black and burned on the one | side. There is no damage to the receiver or motor.

It sounds like the ESC was still sending power to the motor when it crashed, but the prop was prevented from moving (even the water by itself would stop it from moving fast) and so it fried the ESC. This is why people put fuses in their airplanes.

The ESC getting wet may have caused it to go `full throttle', or it just might be that you forgot to cut the throttle. | I would love to convince myself that the ESC smoked, causing the crash | rather than I caused the crash and the water smoked the ESC.

I suspect that this is another case of a failure of the nut behind the transmitter ... :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren