Crash!

Hi, Had a crash today. Plane was totally destroyed. Only thing I can say is, Double check your trims if you still use analog trim levers. When I was starting my plane, the tx fell over and I didn't think to check to see if the trims had gotten knock off their settings. Anyway, it made for an exciting take off and subsequent wildly uncontrolled turn and dive straight into the ground. Fortunately for me, I had the smarts to quickly cut my throttle when I realized it was going in.

In as many pieces that plane went to, I was surprised that the propeller did not break. I am going to send the rx in to Hitec for them to check out before I use it again and I might have stripped some servo gears. The engine itself appears to be in good condition, no dirt got into the carb and the muffler did not break off. The engine mount broke right behind where the engine mounts to it. It was my Hobbico Superstar. Was a good flying plane until today. Pilot error for not checking the trims after the tx fell over.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Sorry to hear Vance. Your right, we need to check EVERY time. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

That's tough - when I was learning, my instructor would test me by putting the trims out of place and handing the radio back to me, forcing me to stabilise and fly the plane while I worked out what trims needed to be corrected - of course, this was always at a couple of mistakes worth of altitude, and I was prepared as I knew that one or more trims were out. That kind of practice comes in handy when maidening a newbie's plane, and helped me get my extra down in one piece when I took off with the aileron servo disconnected (made me glad the plane had some rudder coupling).

Reply to
Poxy

Sorry to hear you lost a plane. Something similar happened to me. I was at a funfly and they had a Tx impound. I got my Tx to make a flight and almost lost my Goldberg Cub. A couple of my analog trims had been moved all the way to one side in the impound. Digital trims take care of that problem.

John VB

Reply to
JJVB

Sorry about your crash but I have a pre-taxi check which will eliminate results of forgetfulness. I call it B-SCAT;

B = Battery ( Have I checked my RX and TX batteries?) S = Switches (Check all TX switches for proper position) C = Controls (Check all surfaces for *proper* movement. Don't just wiggle the sticks!). A = Antenna (Fully extended. Make sure each segment is completely extended.) T = Trim = Check trim positions Analog = look at trim levers, Digital = Insure that the correct model is selected).

While you're at it you might as well develop a pre-home departure checklist ( ever arrived at the field and noticed your hands felt funny because the were not holding a TX or you remembered the TX but forgot the wing! It *has* happened. Oops left it at home ;-) and a field box checklist. Damn, may I borrow your glow driver/prop wrench/fuel/etc., I forgot mine. :-))

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I had a student test me once. He cornered all the trims and handed me his transmitter just as the plane reached the center of the runway on the way out. He said "Here, you fly it". Of course it was his new hot shoulder wing stick and had a great roll rate! What a blast that takeoff turned into. He and his wife had great laughs at that one.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High