OT: 1/2 A Control Line length

Sorry for the OT posting. I made a 1/2 A (.049) control line model to fly with my nephew, but it's been 35 years and I can't remember how long the lines should be. Can anyone help?

Reply to
<rmaheuxr

Thirty five feet is a good starting length.

Have a ball!

Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Standard length for 008" stainless lines was 26'. They are still available from Sullivan products as #S-127.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Fulmer

45 feet comes to mind
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used 20' nylon lines 50 years ago for 1/2A planes.

Ralph Henrichs

30' - 40' depending on the speed of the plane. "Back When", I used to fly on 35' braided nylon lines and 30' for steel lines.
Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I you get dizzy and fall down, lengthen them a bit.. :)

David

Reply to
David Hopper

I found when I picked up CL flying after years of RC that I had to get used to walking in a circle.

So the _first_ thing to do if you find yourself getting dizzy, is to fill the tank up less (or use an unreliable engine :-). Once you acclimated yourself then you can go up to full tanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If you're using fuzzy string (make do), I would fly at around 25 to 30 feet. If it is windy with fuzzy strings, I drop down to about 20'.

I don't think I ever had wire lines of the proper gauge for flying 1/2A.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

ok, pure speculation from memory: I had a CG lil wizard and it was on 56 ' lines. seems like that was a whole roll of dacron line. the (non trainer) 1/2 As flew on half of that. 25' or so. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Here's some free plans that call for 35' to 40' lines but it is a stunter i think. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Let me give some advice. If you aren't flying combat stand in one spot, just shift your feet.

OR only look at the plane. I learned to ignore the surroundings and keep the ground strictly in the perifrial vision. Then you only get dizzy after you land...esspecially when you run tanks bigger than

10oz on a Sr. Ringmaster with a Fox 35 stunt...

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner

-------------

I can see 35 to 40 foot lines if you are using metal and the wind isn't bad.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The easy way out is a set of SIG 1/2A dacron lines and handle. They are about 30 feet and can be obtained either direct from SIG or do a web search for Good To Go Models, a good internet based CL hobby shop based in Plattsmouth Nebraska. He can help you with anything from the basics to a "high zoot" (his words not mine) stunt model Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad

wrote

-------------

Anyone that uses the expression "high zoot", is okay with me, and probably a Baby Boomer.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

eh, hem. I STILL think the three line set ups for Carrier events is high zoot. Same thing with CF tuned pipes and I'm not olde' enough to be a boom (I'm arf kit vintage 1966)

p.s. I still think the old GT750 and Moto Guzzi's of the 70's are high zoot also.

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner

eh, hem. I STILL think the three line set ups for Carrier events is high zoot. Same thing with CF tuned pipes and I'm not olde' enough to be a boom (I'm arf kit vintage 1966)

p.s. I still think the old GT750 and Moto Guzzi's of the 70's are high zoot also.

-- Keith

**********

Well, Keith. Your spirit qualifies you for an honorary degree in boomerology.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

;^) uhg...I'd rather hang with the lost generation or the dada crowd. They turned out a little better. ;^)

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner

;^) uhg...I'd rather hang with the lost generation or the dada crowd. They turned out a little better. ;^)

-- Keith

But nowhere near as wealthy.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yeah, but they had more fun! If I had a choice between a life that was fun and being as rich as, oh say the Rockefellers. I'd rather have fun...money isn't fun. Even when you know how to use it well.

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner