Plan For Engine Break-In Stand?

Anybody have (or know about) a nice design for a permanently mounted engine break-in stand? We want to put one at our field, away from the flight line. This way an engine can be run for a time without driving the people in the pits out. I have a nice J'tec aluminum clamp I could mount on a post, but I thought perhaps someone has come up with something better.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson

Try this one:

Rgds

Reply to
Kajman

Yes! This is the one I had a mental image of. I must have seen this somewhere before. I thought it was in one of my books on engines, I looked for a picture of it for a few days. Now I know where to find it.

Thanks much,

Tom

mounted

driving

Reply to
Tom Johnson

there was a nice write up last month's Model Aviation about such a stan

if I remember correctly.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

'bout time you came up for air . . . Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Speaking as a club officer whose club's field is on public land, I'd be against having a "club engine test stand" at the field. Too many liability issues.

CR

Tom Johns> Anybody have (or know about) a nice design for a permanently mounted

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Reply to
Brian Hampton

Please elaborate, what liability issues?

Reply to
w4jle

Speaking as a former club officer - which doesn't mean a thing about the clubs policy, unless we vote on it - we've had an engine test stand ever since we had a field. That way, we have a place to break in engines.

Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

I'm wondering that too. There is no more danger or liability in running an engine in a test stand then there is running an engine in an aircraft. In fact, there's probably less risk.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Someone hurts him/herself using the stand and sues the club and property owner because the stand is defective, etc.

Don't laugh, it could happen.

CR

w4jle wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

The difference is that the airplane belongs to the user, the stand belongs to the club. The latter case is where the liability could lie.

CR

MJC wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

It doesn't matter since both the club AND the individual user would be covered by AMA insurance in either case.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I'm glad that it's working for your club so far. Sure, I know the argument: "Shux, I wouldn't sue, you wouldn't sue, who would sue?" It's old "who" that I'd worry about! ;^)

If, during a meeting, someone proposed putting a club test stand at our field, I'd point out the liability issues during discussion. If the club voted to have a stand I'd want a disclaimer of responsibility sign posted on the stand in plain view. I've seen at least one such stand in my travels.

Anyway, I have several engine test stands of my own. I can whip one up out of pine boards in less than an hour, to clamp in my Workmate. I made one for my first big gasser. If I can do it, so can others. I don't see opening the club up to liability in this litigous world.

My .02,

CR

RCPILOT48 wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Insurance is not a panacea. Case in point: Our club is on the city landfill property. Insurance or not, if anyone sues the city because of an accident at our field we could be on thin ice. Especially so since we share the property with the kid's soccer association's playing fields. Any hint of negligence on out part with "those dangerous model airplanes" and we could be in a world of hurt.

CR

MJC wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I would agree if the test stand is anchored sufficiently. No chance of a runaway!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Same thing would happen if that same litigious person injured themself with a fuselage mounted engine.

A lawyer can make anything sound improper.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Tougher to hang anything on the club in that case, especially if the airplane belongs to the injured party.

CR

Paul Mc> Same thing would happen if that same litigious person injured themself with

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Different issue.

CR

Brian Hampt> I have to wonder how you control the mobile test stands called model > planes...

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson