No-drag catcher system for walk-mower

I am currently working on my first tinsmithing project, which I thought
I would mention.
One of the things which I like about the Snapper walk mower is that it
combines a side-discharge design with a rear-bag design. In other
words, when working without a catcher, the side chute throws the
clippings to the side, away from the blade, and away from the
operator's face. When using the catcher, though, the rear-bag design
provides for greater maneuverability than a side-catcher does. More
than anything, though, the hole in the top of the deck, combined with
the catcher chute, keep the rear bag from dragging and disabling the
propulsion system.
First I cut a hole in the top of the deck of my WalMart mower. I
simply extended the hole which was already there for the side chute.
Then I used my scroll saw to cut a piece of wood for the inside line of
this rectangular hole, next to the engine. This was to bring the
aluminum-flashing "tin" up on that side, and another piece of wood for
the front. On the outside, I had the side of the deck to work with.
Well, to make a long story short, the chute turned out okay. I also
bought a Lawnboy high-lift blade (the Lawnboy shares the Snapper
catcher design). My earlier wire-mesh-covered-with-denim version
worked well, so this one will darned well have to. I have a musical
drumset, two guitars, and a musical keyboard to build hard shell cases
for, so I am just warming up. At the low-end, the cases cost more than
the instruments, so all of that craftsmanship just goes to waste when
the buyer doesn't bother to get a case. I hate to see that work going
to waste.
Bookbinder's chipboard is also used for low-end hard shell cases for
musical instruments. Bookbinder's chipboard is noncorrugated cardboard.
Reply to
MikeMandaville