I am currently working on my first tinsmithing project, which I thought I would mention.
One of the things which I like about the Snapper walk mower is that it combines a side-discharge design with a rear-bag design. In other words, when working without a catcher, the side chute throws the clippings to the side, away from the blade, and away from the operator's face. When using the catcher, though, the rear-bag design provides for greater maneuverability than a side-catcher does. More than anything, though, the hole in the top of the deck, combined with the catcher chute, keep the rear bag from dragging and disabling the propulsion system.
First I cut a hole in the top of the deck of my WalMart mower. I simply extended the hole which was already there for the side chute. Then I used my scroll saw to cut a piece of wood for the inside line of this rectangular hole, next to the engine. This was to bring the aluminum-flashing "tin" up on that side, and another piece of wood for the front. On the outside, I had the side of the deck to work with.
Well, to make a long story short, the chute turned out okay. I also bought a Lawnboy high-lift blade (the Lawnboy shares the Snapper catcher design). My earlier wire-mesh-covered-with-denim version worked well, so this one will darned well have to. I have a musical drumset, two guitars, and a musical keyboard to build hard shell cases for, so I am just warming up. At the low-end, the cases cost more than the instruments, so all of that craftsmanship just goes to waste when the buyer doesn't bother to get a case. I hate to see that work going to waste.
Bookbinder's chipboard is also used for low-end hard shell cases for musical instruments. Bookbinder's chipboard is noncorrugated cardboard.