Kato "sprue parts" question.

I have the Kato n scale corrugated passenger set. On the RPO car it appears there are enough parts to put either a safty bar across the door OR install the mail bag catcher. I assume you are not suppose to put them all in, correct? Also, there are 4 pieces of mail bag catcher. Are 2 of these duplicates, or do you put them together somehow and it actually takes 2 pieces for each side?

Reply to
wolfee

You can put EITHER the safety bar or the mail catcher there. Your choice.

The mail catchers were not always in place when trains were in operation.....so the safety bar would be.

I think the reason they give you four of the mail catchers is that they are fragile and could easily be broken; thus,no need to order replacements from Kato if things go wrong during installation!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Reply to
wolfee

Thanks. That makes sense. I decided to put the safety bars on both sides. It took about an hour and a 5X magnifier! It wasn't as bad as all the little parts that go on the diner though. That one took TWO hours. Now, which end is the front? The post office end or the baggage end?

Reply to
wolfee

One thing I did, even with the "tight" fit, was to put a very slight dab of Micro-Scale Krystal Clear (normally used for making clear windows, in airliner models, for example...) on the end of the parts to be inserted. This way they'd be "glued" in place but I could always remove them if necessary (the stuff is water soluble) and it wouldn't damage the aluminum paint finish.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins